Loose suspension strut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose suspension strut

Bit of a newbie question, but I can't find another related post, so here goes...

For the past few weeks I've been hearing metallic squeaking and rattling sounds from the O/S/F area whilst driving along over even the smallest of bumps, upon closer investigation I think i've found the cause, which seems to be the O/S/F suspension strut. Its loose at the top where the bolt goes into the large washer and bush, I can literally move it around 360 degrees! I'm assuming this isn't normal as I can't move the top of the strut on the other side of the truck. So, perhaps stupidly I thought I could just get the socket set out and have a go at tightening it up, if perhaps it had worked itself loose, but when I attempt to tighten it I can see the metal rod that goes into the strut just turning around when I turn the bolt, and it remains loose. Does this mean its knackered and I need new suspension struts or is it fixable? Part of the problem is that I am not in the UK at the moment and my only option is a Toyota main dealer, unless I get parts shipped out here and have a go at fitting myself, although as I'm sure you can tell I'm no mechanic!

Any advice?

Cheers

is there not an allen key slot in the top of the rod?????
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Doesn't seem to be, just had a probe at it with some allen keys, I've attached 2 pictures so you can see what I'm talking about as maybe I'm not being clear. I cant see why I can't just tighten up the nut, seems to be welded to the screw thread, tried some WD40 on it to free it up but no good...

Thanks a lot
      Attached Files

Comment

its cross threaded and jamed, you need to hold the plunger with a pair of mole grips or stilsons and then get the nut off and repair the thread. you will probably find that it will tighten down a lot further than in the picture, the rubber bush needs to be compressed down to about 10 or 12 mm thick.

Comment

Working...
        X