Help! No bolts in starter Motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! No bolts in starter Motor?

Hi all, I was hoping to try to do my starter repair today, but having looked at it, I can't see any bolts that hold it on.

I can see the holes they should be in, and I see a bracket underneath, but the bolts that should fix it to the engine are missing too.

So, where are the fixings??

If there are none ( in mine) why has it not fallen out? ( tempting fate)

I took it to my local mech, who said he had not seen one like it before, and there should be bolts on the bracket underneath, but I looked and thy ain't there.
    He can't look at it for two weeks, and didn't seem too keen to be honest, I think he still has nightmares about doing the head over a year ago.

So come on guy's help me out here
    Last edited by plumb bob; 15 March 2008, 14:33.
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Sure yours must be like mine Robert .... on at the Top of the bellhousing.....
    A little $hit to get at & another just above the Clutch slave cylinder, I think there's another on the opposit it ...

Hope this help mate n good luck !!

ps. put a slight bend a the ring end combination spanner ....

There's always a payback ..... Ya just neve see it Comin !!!!
    Buncefield Burner

Comment

I can see the hole at the top and bottom lugs where the bolts should go through the bell housing, they just aint there.

I'm a little stumped, and confused, although that's not too hard these days.

Update:

Just had another look, and the bolt above the slave cylinder is not fitted, and the one that sits under the inlet manifold is not fitted either.
      I'm stumped, I don't want to start pulling stuff out, if it's not gonna be fiesable to get it done this pm.......Bugger!
      Last edited by plumb bob; 15 March 2008, 16:07.
      Rob

Comment

Bump.......................... ........

any more suggestions on how I get the starter motor out without undoing any bolts??
        Rob

Comment

Do they come from the gearbox side of the bell housing, through into the starter?

Comment

Originally posted by Woppit View Post
            Do they come from the gearbox side of the bell housing, through into the starter?
            There are a couple of bolts that go fromt the gearbox side to hold the starter motor in as i found when taking the gearbox out a couple of weeks ago
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

That is I guess the only possibility, where are these bolts situated?
              Rob

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob View Post
                That is I guess the only possibility, where are these bolts situated?
                i think its the top 2 on the passenger side going thru the bell housing Bob.Once you get under the truck you should be able to see the bolts ok or even from the top i'm not sure

Comment

It's a bit difficult to see much under my truck, due to the veg oil leaking from the fuel pump, but I'll have a look later if the rai lets up.

What size are these bolts, am I looking for hex head and large like 17mm??
                  Rob

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob View Post
                    It's a bit difficult to see much under my truck, due to the veg oil leaking from the fuel pump, but I'll have a look later if the rai lets up.

What size are these bolts, am I looking for hex head and large like 17mm??
                    Yea the y are either 17 or 19mm i will get a pic in a bit of where the starter is in my breaker without the gearbox in then you should be able to see roughly where the bolts are

Comment

Thanks Richard, I must admit, I can't see anything that looks like 17mm bolts anywhere on the starter, but I'll wait for you pics.
                      Rob

Comment

here you go Bob the fist pic is a bracket underneath of the starter holding it in also

Comment

Thanks for the pics Richard, The bracket is attatched to the starter, but there are no bolts holding it to the engine, the top and bottom bolts you point to have no hex head on either side that I can see, but I guess they must be there, unless someone has sheared them off in the past.

That bottom bolt in your piccy looks like it maybe a "pin" rather than a threaded bolt.

I'll drink my tea, and go out and have a looky
                          Last edited by plumb bob; 16 March 2008, 12:54.
                          Rob

Comment

they are pinned aswell as being bolted so it may be that it is tight as a tight thing can get

also Bob those 2 holes go all the wat thru and are threaded so it the bolts have been snapped off then you should be able to drill out the studs and put in new bolts once the starter is out that is
                            Last edited by stormforce; 16 March 2008, 13:14.

Comment

If that top bolt come from the bell housing side, it gonna be a real sonbitch to get a spanner/socket on it without removing half the engine ancillaries.
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X