Extra radiator fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra radiator fan

Can anyone tell me what the extra fan on my radiator is actually for?

It hasn't worked yet since I got the surf (or maybe I have not noticed it yet) and I am not sure if it broken.

Any ideas?

Typsey

Originally posted by The Typsey Russell

It hasn't worked yet since I got the surf (or maybe I have not noticed it yet) and I am not sure if it broken.

Any ideas?

Typsey
    it kicks in if it gets hot to cool the rad, to check it disconnect it just below the rad cap, its near near the temp sender, and the fan will come on if its working
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by The Typsey Russell

Any ideas?

Typsey
      Switch on the aircon- see if it comes on then?

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
        Switch on the aircon- see if it comes on then?
        you lost me whats the aircon got to do with the rad fan
        [size=5][/size]
        [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
          Think there is some confusion here. On the late 2.4 and the 3Litre, there are 3 electric fans. 2 are below the engine operated by the AC and pulling air through the aC radiator. There is also one in front of the main radiator which kicks in when the engine reaches a certain temp (or runs permanantly if the wire is disconnected from the sensor.

On the V6 4 Runner, the AC Rad is in front of the Main Rad (also on the early 2.4). As far as I know on the V6, the electric fan on the front operates both for the AC and also for engine heat so is dual purpose.

Cheers

Comment

The 2.4 TD Surfs don't have an electric radiator fan.The temperature sensors on the thermostat housing are for the temperature gauge and ECU.My 2.4 has only 2 fans the engine driven one for the radiator and the air con on front of radiator.

Neville
            Last edited by NiftyNev; 18 September 2003, 13:54.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
              The 2.4 TD Surfs don't have an electric radiator fan.The temperature sensors on the thermostat housing are for the temperature gauge and ECU.My 2.4 has only 2 fans the engine driven one for the radiator and the air con on front of radiator.

Neville
              nev,my 92 has two aircon fans below the engine, one fan in front of the rad for the cooling which works from the sensor below the rad cap, andys right what he says, typesy has a 93 so he will have the cooling fan in front of the radiator, his aircon rads will be underneath
              [size=5][/size]

Comment

nev,my 92 has two aircon fans below the engine, one fan in front of the rad for the cooling which works from the sensor below the rad cap, andys right what he says, typesy has a 93 so he will have the cooling fan in front of the radiator, his aircon rads will be underneath
                I will check mine tomorrow.The info I got from the Aussie site stated the second sensor was for the ECU.This info also came with a warning not to disconnect while engine is running to avoid a power surge to the ECU.If I disconnect and the fan in front of radiator operates then it must be dual purpose for air con and cooling.Now I think I am getting confused.

Neville

Comment

i would have thought yours was same as mine
                  Some '92 Surfs over here have what they call underslung air con rad but mine is the single fan in front of main radiator.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                    Some '92 Surfs over here have what they call underslung air con rad but mine is the single fan in front of main radiator.

Neville
                    Neville.

I think (maybe) that the front fan works for both the aircon and the engine temp like the V6 is supposed to. It should come on either with the aircon or if the aircon is not on it will come on if the engine gets hot.

My 1993 2LTE has the underslung AC rad and 2 fans on it plus the one in front of the main Radiator.

Cheers

Comment

hmmm... i think i've only got 1 fan?!

the viscous one behind the rad.... it's a kzn185

i'm gonna have to have a look now!
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                        hmmm... i think i've only got 1 fan?!

the viscous one behind the rad.... it's a kzn185

i'm gonna have to have a look now!
                        Tis true, I have the air con rad inf ront of the cooling rad and the electric fan comes on when i switch the air con on and comes on when i disconnect the sender under the rad cap this is the fan i have also wired up so i can switch it on at will.
                        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                        My choice
                        Back off

Comment

my 1993 2.4td efi has viscous fan in front of engine, electric fan on front of radiator
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                          (")_(")

Comment

Wow, so it isn't just me then.

I have underslung AC with 2 fans. I will test the other fan to see if it does come on.

The reason I was asking is that I was thinking about adding an extra fan for cooling the radiator, but as it seems to have one already I might as well leave it.

Cheers everyone.

Typsey

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                              Neville.

I think (maybe) that the front fan works for both the aircon and the engine temp like the V6 is supposed to. It should come on either with the aircon or if the aircon is not on it will come on if the engine gets hot.

My 1993 2LTE has the underslung AC rad and 2 fans on it plus the one in front of the main Radiator.

Cheers
                              I checked fan operation on my '92 Surf today.I have the viscous fan and one air con fan in front of radiator.The air con fan only operates (cycles on and off) when air con is switched on.Disconnecting wire from sensor on thermostat housing has no effect on this fan regardless of engine temperature.

Neville

Comment

Working...
                              X