torque shudder in overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torque shudder in overdrive

im dropping the motor off on wednesday to get it looked into. mechanic says there is a possibility it could be gear box,
    so they will have their first look on thursday.
    i hope its not gearbox :/

has anyone else had this problem? its when the car gets into overdive and you accellerate. then you get vibration. if you stop accellerating its fine. if you speed up gradually its fine. its not wheels out of balance.

ps i havnt had a chance to check underneath yet cos ive been busy with things. but if i crawl underneath and try to twist the prop when its in park, it shouldnt move what so ever should it. not with an auto right?
    ive done this to manuals and their props go round various amounts
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

So did you give the props a bit of a wiggle to see if it's worn UJs?

Comment

What Sancho said....

Leave the handbrake off, put it in park, crawl underneath and rock it backwards and forwards with you foot on the back wheel, and look for slack in the UJ's.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
        What Sancho said....

Leave the handbrake off, put it in park, crawl underneath and rock it backwards and forwards with you foot on the back wheel, and look for slack in the UJ's.
        when i was washing it, i stood on the wheel, and it does move forward and back an inch or so.
        i never had a chance to do it myself. but when i get home tonight i will get a torch and take a look.

thanks for your advice, sorry for asking the same thing twice, was just worried it hopefully isnt anything with the gearbox
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Just hope you haven't buggered your torque converter or clutch packs doing burnouts!

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...4&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Just hope you haven't buggered your torque converter or clutch packs doing burnouts!

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...4&postcount=25
            same here!
            we will find out thursday

i know nothing about torque converters or clutch packs, but the truck pulls away as sharp as it always did, and the vibration is only there when the truck is putting down a high amount of power / torque when the gearbox has locked up. like when the rpm is 2000-2500ish and turbo boost is 7+psi (so almost full)

if i had done what you mentioned, would it be noticeable immediately from pulling away?
            Last edited by dieselboy; 19 February 2008, 15:55.
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Presumably, if there was a problem with the torque converter, it might manifest when it locked up at around 55 and disappear as it released again. But......it's more likely to be the UJs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                Presumably, if there was a problem with the torque converter, it might manifest when it locked up at around 55 and disappear as it released again. But......it's more likely to be the UJs.

thank you for your advice.

the issue disappears when the gearbox is still locked up, but when i ease off the pedal. so its not related to gear box locking up.
                UJs being checked thursday
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                X