any tips for getting brake pipes off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any tips for getting brake pipes off?

tried to fit braided lines the other week and nothing was budging. any tips before I ruin the nuts any more?
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

For starters use a proper brake pipe spanner like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brake-Pipe-Uni...QQcmdZViewItem

Rob.

Comment

Tim In the past using the special spanner has taken the corners off the nut, then a good set of stilsens/pipe grips was the only sucesful option !!

There's always a Paybak .... Ya just never see it Comin !!!!
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

i could make me own brake pipe spanner with an angle grinder and an old ring spanner - maybe ill try
        if not ill try stilsons
        thanks (my mates landy has the same prob on the back of his drums so I need some practice!)
        Tim

Comment

Vice grips worked for me, ###### nuts broke one of my spanners, Its no big deal if you damage the shape of the inlet line nut with vice grips, you will just need to use vice grips from then on. but avoid using them on the bleeder nipple, it shouldnt be as tight anyway, & they can be undone with the ring end of spanner.
          93 ssr-x 3.0td , auto. (kzn130)

Comment

yeah bleed nipples are all ok but the pipe fittings on the rear axle and front flexi's wont budge.
            no time to try on the weekend so maybe next... will let you know how it goes.
            Tim

Comment

Dunno if it makes a difference but my surf seems to have bolts made of plasticine. If I have to unbolt anything I give it a good soak with wd40 every evening for 3 days or so before attempting to undo it. I did this to the pipes on my brake calipers before I replaced the calipers and they undone just fine.

I used a bit of card to stop any getting on the discs etc..

Rob - who grew up in South Woodford (Latchett Rd)

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                Dunno if it makes a difference but my surf seems to have bolts made of plasticine. If I have to unbolt anything I give it a good soak with wd40 every evening for 3 days or so before attempting to undo it. I did this to the pipes on my brake calipers before I replaced the calipers and they undone just fine.

I used a bit of card to stop any getting on the discs etc..

Rob - who grew up in South Woodford (Latchett Rd)
                yeah ill try that as I have also become accustomed to soaking in WD40 for days on end. Latchett Road is very near me.. where abouts in Essex are you now?
                Tim

Comment

5 miles into the sticks from Stansted.

Rob.

Comment

Working...
                  X