Diff Whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff Whine

My diff has started whining really badly this past few weeks. The whine didn't start quiet and build up, it was fine one minute, and screaming like a Banshee the next.

Whine starts at about 30, sometimes it goes quiet, mostly not! If I hold the motor just on the cusp of overrun, there's a metalic rattly noise from the diff. On the overrun it's quiet until less than about 5mph when there's a noise from the diff again until the truck stops.

Any ideas what's broke, or is this kind of normal for a duff diff on a Surf?

Could the pinion nut be loose, would that cause the whine and rattle I have?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Get it off mate and have a look might be a simple fix if left might wreck a crown wheel or worse collapse and punch through the casing
    Brian

Comment

Checked it today, pinion nut was OK, so checked the oil. Was about half a litre of black treacle in it! Filled it up with fresh oil and hoped for the best, guess what? It's noisier now than it was before! Shirley said it was like sitting in the back of a really old Maltese Bus. So I guess the diff is fubarred.

Anyone got any opinions on the best thing to do? Rebuild it myself, have it done professionally or buy a good used one and replace mine.

It's a G144 in case any of you have one lying around...

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
        Checked it today, pinion nut was OK, so checked the oil. Was about half a litre of black treacle in it! Filled it up with fresh oil and hoped for the best, guess what? It's noisier now than it was before! Shirley said it was like sitting in the back of a really old Maltese Bus. So I guess the diff is fubarred.

Anyone got any opinions on the best thing to do? Rebuild it myself, have it done professionally or buy a good used one and replace mine.

It's a G144 in case any of you have one lying around...
        check some US sites out for the correct gears for running 35" tyres... Its a sign that your diff is fubared!! Dont ignore it! Run 35's

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
          check some US sites out for the correct gears for running 35" tyres... Its a sign that your diff is fubared!! Dont ignore it! Run 35's
          What are you trying to tell me? Should I change the gearing and run 35's?

Comment

sorry for diggin this up! but my front diff on my 91 seems to be whining too, mine is only when I am driving anywhere below 60kmh and when cold. if i drive around for 5-10 minutes it stops. there is a small leak between the diff and diff cover! is it an easy fix? and does any one know if you can do a solid axle swap on these RHD w/a northamerican 79-85 front diff. a guy who now works for our company can help me (he has done 5-6 SAS's) but i dunno if i should repair this diff or do a SAS (id prefer a SAS) or do i need different knuckles? any help is greatly appreciated.

jordan
            mmmmmm....... muuud

Comment

Originally posted by bezrq surf View Post
              sorry for diggin this up! but my front diff on my 91 seems to be whining too, mine is only when I am driving anywhere below 60kmh and when cold. if i drive around for 5-10 minutes it stops. there is a small leak between the diff and diff cover! is it an easy fix? and does any one know if you can do a solid axle swap on these RHD w/a northamerican 79-85 front diff. a guy who now works for our company can help me (he has done 5-6 SAS's) but i dunno if i should repair this diff or do a SAS (id prefer a SAS) or do i need different knuckles? any help is greatly appreciated.

jordan
              Solid axel swap ....look on lasupertrux website or yotatec for more information
              ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

werd up
                thanx man! lasupertrux like the pic of the shop at the top of the screen ; )
                mmmmmm....... muuud

Comment

RE - Diff Whine

Hi Albannach,

Sounds like you got a bearing going it the rear diff, bummer,When you let the oil out, were there any steel bits stuck to the magnetic bung? a quick way to tell things aint good.
                  Its a easy job to have a quick look in the diff, my guess is it will be a pinnion bearing, hiluxs are well known for destroying them first, specially if driven on tarmac in 4wd.
                  Most people i know, just pull them out, and get a reconed one,easy enough job to do yourself. look at the positive,if its an open diff, you can upgrade to a LSD.
                  2.8L Best toymotor engine ever!!

Comment

Working...
                  X