Black modular steels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black modular steels

Assuming you haven't all floated away in this lovely weather we're having, does anyone know where there's a decent (ie reasonable price) supplier of black modular steel wheels for my Surf? I can only find Land Rover fitment advertised on the web in the UK. I need 7x16s.

apache got some black modulars from www.silverline4x4.co.uk i think recently, www.offroadmdg.com rock crawlers are nice but they aint cheap
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

Cheers Nero.
      Just spent a week in the Fens in the Surf on a set of 750x16 Land Rover Military Wolf tyres (the zig-zag ones you see) that I put on some old HiLux steels. What a difference from the 31s BFG ATs. Didn't get stuck once - totally awesome! Climbed some seriously wet 45 degree banks up the side of the dykes without any worries: spent 3 hours digging out in the same spot last year..... Also being a little bit narrower they are much better when you hit surface water on the road and don't chuck as much on the screen for some reason. Can't live with the noise though, they are mental at 70mph.........
      Having proven the point going to get 16 steels and 235/85 16 BFG MTs as they come up the closest in a 'modern' size.

Comment

235s are still considerably (2") wider than the 750x16s, but the theory is the same, a narrower tyre sinks through the soft mud to find grip on something firmer underneath, a wider tyre with huge lugs digs/grabs/paddles through the soft stuff.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

http://www.4x4tyres.com/index.php?sh...mod=57&wid=547

Get that tin of black spray paint out mate!!

Thats probably the cheapest option at least.

Comment

Thanks RodLeach
            That's a great link! I seem to remember when I bought my ATs last year that KwikFit were doing a 4 for 3 deal so I might try them for the tyres and get rims from these guys.
            Cheers

Comment

Is there any reason other then cost that people go for stealies???? Don't heavier wheels give better stability or something?
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by rodthrutheblock View Post
                Cheers Nero.
                Just spent a week in the Fens in the Surf on a set of 750x16 Land Rover Military Wolf tyres (the zig-zag ones you see) that I put on some old HiLux steels. What a difference from the 31s BFG ATs. Didn't get stuck once - totally awesome! Climbed some seriously wet 45 degree banks up the side of the dykes without any worries: spent 3 hours digging out in the same spot last year..... Also being a little bit narrower they are much better when you hit surface water on the road and don't chuck as much on the screen for some reason. Can't live with the noise though, they are mental at 70mph.........
                Having proven the point going to get 16 steels and 235/85 16 BFG MTs as they come up the closest in a 'modern' size.
                Have you got any pics with the 750x16`s tyres on? Or has anybody else got pics with the 235/85/16`s on their surf? I`ve been thinking about changing to 235/85/16 for a while now. Why are they noisier at 70? Surely that`s tyre-tread specific and not the size? Any other pro`s and con`s? Is it worse braking now with less tyre in contact with the ground. Is there less rolling resistance etc.
                cheers,
                chris