Air filter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air filter...

...Is there anyway in having an air filter strait off the turbo inlet? I did this on my starlet GT turbo. But i'm not sure if these a an AFM (air flow meter)

also, this morning, i drove a few miles and noticed that the full power wasn't achieved when i put my foot down. ill start it up for 15 mins later, and see if it drives ok. checked all the turbo pipes, accelerator cable, water and oil- nothing erong at all. there was no 'milk' or ather crap in the oil cap- so i take it the head and everything's ok. i might treat to some redex later on, just incase its the injectors?

All pipes, wires and contacts are correct, as i took them all off individually and cleaned excess grease/dust off.

Just wondered if anyone else has this problem, or is it just the early cold start?? only drove it for 20 mins to work...

cheers guys,
    Joe.

...p.s- is the YELLOW dip stick before near the inlet manifold the oil check?
    there's another one in RED that i checked the other day...
    1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 2.4TD

Yes, you can fit a cone type K&N filter directly to the turbo, but you'll need to fit the airflow sensor to it somehow. Also, the intake noise will be annoying unless you like that sort of thing.

Check the level and condition of the transmission fluid, as this sounds like the cause of your loss of power when cold.
    Have the engine running and cycle all through the gears and back to 'P' before checking the level. The fluid should be a blood red colour, not brown or burnt smelling.

The dipstick nearest the windscreen (orange) is the transmission fluid dipstick, you also top up the fluid through this tube too.

Comment

Loss of power can be caused by the hose from manifold to turbo sensor coming off. Is the turbo light coming on? If not then this could be your problem. Yellow is engine oil red is transmission fluid.

Nev

Comment

So should I undo the bolt on the chamber of the diff to top it up?
        Or can i just put more transmission oil in to the tube, then check it when cold/hot and compare to the readings and markings on the dip-stick?

I suppose its not really a good idea to enable more air to get into the turbo inlet unless its in turn expelled from the exhaust housing via downpipe at the same rate, or faster... Bigger bore exhaust perhaps?? I could fabricate a nice stainless downpipe, say, 3" to compensate?

Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Yes, you can fit a cone type K&N filter directly to the turbo, but you'll need to fit the airflow sensor to it somehow. Also, the intake noise will be annoying unless you like that sort of thing.
          Very annoying, we had a K&N on the end of the black intake pipe in place of the airfilter box, but couldn't live the noise and made a sound proof box with a open bottom for it.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I'll give it a go in the morning and listen for the outcome...

Will i need to re-wire the sensor to extend it over the engine, so it can reach the filter as it will come strait off the turbo??

I had an A'pexi air filter on my GT turbo, strait off the turbo- that was VERY loud on spool up, but that was running on 28psi. How much boost does the 2.4 TD surf run??

And has anyone fitted a front mounted intercooler to there '93 surf?
            I checked my engine oil realier- it was VERY low, so i tipped 5l of 10w 40 part synthetic diesel turbo oil into it early, runs much sweeter now

Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by joe GT View Post
              Will i need to re-wire the sensor to extend it over the engine, so it can reach the filter as it will come strait off the turbo??
              To be honest, the sensor measures incoming air temp, if you have the filter directly on the turbo, you incoming air is underbonnet air temp. In theory it dosn't matter is you leave it hanging where it is, it'll make very little difference.

Without exaggeration, nearly every other truck I get in to service, has the sensor hanging loose where someone has forgotten to plug it back in. Dirty air getting in through the hole aside, it makes very little difference to how the truck runs.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

OK mate, cheers. I'll dig out my old Apexi air filter tomorrow, and see if it fits.
                I also would like to change my transmission fluid for peace of mind. Is it ok to use "dexronIII" fluid?

and is it a case of getting it on ramps, undoing the bung on the under side, and then topping it up through the dipstick spout?

I also want to change my diff fluids, and is it the same story here? undo bung, bleed out, redo bung, and top up through the other hole??

Sorry for all the questions- but ive got to start somewhere, rather than getting it wrong...

Joe.

Comment

Joe, check out this thread:
                  http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=40907
                  I think all the guys there have answered your question for you.

Comment

Cheers matey- answers everything on there!!

Much appreciated,
                    Joe.

Comment

Working...
                    X