still loosing water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still loosing water

Ok... had my rad and thermostat changed yesterday ( by jotto) and filled up and all seemed ok, drove the 50 ish miles home from his place and didn't look at it again till this morn, i found the coolant level was lowtopped up with about a cup full of juice and thought nothing more of it. went out this evening and checked it again and its low again by about a cupful. Now when my rad originaly went i must have lost about 2.5 litres... so im now wondering if the head has gone
    not got a presure tester or combustion gas test kit (Yet), so is there any other signs/clues that the head may be gone
    Cant see any other obvious leaks, both front and rear heaters warning up well so i dont think its a airlock.....

So help ! where do i go next from here

is it leaving any water on the floor, could be a leak somewhere

Comment

Check the seal on the rad cap as maybe perished.
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Is it properly burped? if there is a small airlock itll lose water until air is gone, face truck uphill, and leave rad cap off, (onseat so you remember to put it back) then youll know its burped properly.
        Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

@ sledge : hard to tell with all the rain

@ Vagrant No2 : i will order a new one. newish one on it,
          but the seal may have gone hard due to not always having water right up to the top in the rad as split was near rad cap

@ The Lang-Shankit Scunner :
          think so ... Jotto seemed quite happy with it.
          Will leave rad cap off tonight

thanks

Comment

well im now pi s sed off !!
            Just found 3 pin hole leaks in the top of the new rad !!!
            RT have no probs replacing it..... but its all the hassel and cost of getting it done again

Also what do i need to get it tested for the head being cracked ?

went it to 2 of the car shops in town asking if the had some sort of kit to test it and they both looked at me gone out

Comment

ok...had head tested, garage done it , stuck a funnel type gizmo in top of rad with blue stuff in it said it will turn yelow/green ish if head gone ...this sound about right ?
              he had a presure tester but didn;t have a clue how to use it

Comment

Working...
              X