Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rad cap pressure for 3.0TD

Whattizit then?

I never get any coolant in the expansion tank, even when the rad is brimmed!

Got good pressure cos the hoses are hard when hot, the pipe to the exp. tank is clear, no overheating, not losing coolant (unless you count the pinholes in my eBay rad...)

I think the one I got from Milners says 13lbs on it...
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Same cap for all the Surfs. 13PSI 90KPA.

Nev

Comment

Any thoughts on why I never get any serious amount of coolant in my expansion tank then Nev?

<edit> I guess the cap could just be rubbish...

Comment

If the cooling system is full when cold and there are no leaks then some coolant should enter the expansion bottle. Not sure how much on the 3Ltr but on my 2.4 the level rises around 30mm from cold to hot. If it's not then the pressure in the cooling system would be very high unless it has somewhere else to escape. Do you have to top up radiator often? This would suggest a leak of coolant and that's also where the pressure would go. Does the coolant syphon back when the engine is cooling?

Nev

Comment

are you sure its a standard genuine rad.
          i replaced my leaking rad with a patern part one that came supplied with its own cap, the genuine cap will fit it but the inner guts won't lift and let any expanded (hot ) coolant through to the expansion tank, i would check it all over with a rule and make sure its still got space to lift when its screwed down.
          measure the distance from the top rim of the rad, down into the seating for the cap bottom seal, make a note of it.
          then measure the distance of the cap bottom seal to the inner surface of the rad cap, make a note of it.
          then compress the cap bottom seal upwards against the spring preasure and re-measure the distance of the seal to to the inner surface of the rad cap, make a note of it.
          i hope this doesn't sound as clear as mud but your looking for at least half a mil up-ward travel after its been screwed down. (i'll try and attatch a drawing shortley)

Comment

link kindly supplied to me by nifty nev a few months back.
            http://www.are.com.au/feat/techt/imp...diator_cap.htm

Comment

Just a bit of info on radiator caps. I once purchased a "CPC" brand that we have here in Australia. If you have them over there, then avoid them like the plague. They are absolute C**P. These are what the majority of auto stores down here stock. I now use "Aunger" which I believe are even better than the Toyota. I have had the Aunger cap on for at least three years and it shows no signs of needing replacement. The CPC seal fell apart in less than ten months.

Nev

Comment

I do know that its not a genuine rad. I fitted a cheapish one a few years back to get me out of a hole when the 13 y/o original burst. I guess you're right about the poorly fitting cap - it just doesn't fit right.

Next rad will be genuine item!

Comment

like you said at the start of the thread, the coolant pipes are hard when engin is hot. you should definatly be able to squeez them and see or at least hear the coolant in the expansion bottle slosh around.

now would be a good time of year to change the thermos-stat and flush the system as well.

Comment

Originally posted by davemaxx
                    like you said at the start of the thread, the coolant pipes are hard when engin is hot. you should definatly be able to squeez them and see or at least hear the coolant in the expansion bottle slosh around.

now would be a good time of year to change the thermos-stat and flush the system as well.
                    The coolant is nice and clean (changed earlier this year) and the stat was replaced at the same time so should be OK.

Next time I've got a bit of spare wonga I'll get a genuine Toy rad from Roughtrax.

Comment

Working...
                    X