MOT emissions (my other car)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOT emissions (my other car)

For once, a post thats not about my Surf. Hopefully someone out there may be able to help with my Vectra! Apologies for using the Surf forum but needs must.

I've gone to get it MOT'd so's it can be sold, but it failed on emissions which are slightly higher than allowed on the fast idle test. Its a 2.5 V6 24V SRi, with the engine management obviously all done by its computer chip.

I've just stuck a bottle of STP into 2/3rds of a tank, and I plan to run about 10-20 miles of the stuff through before going back for the retest.

Anyone got any other/better suggestions as to how to get it lowered enough for the MOT (on the cheap as its being sold)?

Cheers
    Everything's easy, when you know how!

Originally posted by phorbiuz
    For once, a post thats not about my Surf. Hopefully someone out there may be able to help with my Vectra! Apologies for using the Surf forum but needs must.

I've gone to get it MOT'd so's it can be sold, but it failed on emissions which are slightly higher than allowed on the fast idle test. Its a 2.5 V6 24V SRi, with the engine management obviously all done by its computer chip.

I've just stuck a bottle of STP into 2/3rds of a tank, and I plan to run about 10-20 miles of the stuff through before going back for the retest.

Anyone got any other/better suggestions as to how to get it lowered enough for the MOT (on the cheap as its being sold)?

Cheers
    You should still be able to adjust the mixture manually to a extent??
    Also check the switch on the throttle, if the switch is adjusted wrong, the car will constantly think you have your foot on the accelerator and thus the emissions will go up....
    Finally, is your CAT ok?
    Thats my 2p worth....
    2 Tone Mud Master!
    http://www.sunsetsurf.co.uk

Comment

The cat should be OK as its not that old, but there's a suspicion about the lambda sensor. These, apparantly, aren't cheap. Don't know about the switch etc, but it has always been serviced at the local Vauxhall main dealer so you'd expect it to be fine, but there's always that little niggle in the back of your head with using main dealers.

As I say, its just a fraction over being passed.

Comment

The cat should be OK as its not that old, but there's a suspicion about the lambda sensor. These, apparantly, aren't cheap. Don't know about the switch etc, but it has always been serviced at the local Vauxhall main dealer so you'd expect it to be fine, but there's always that little niggle in the back of your head with using main dealers.

As I say, its just a fraction over being passed.
        whats the air filter like
        [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
        [size=5][/size]
        [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Don't know - I'll check. It should have been changed at the last service 10 months ago.

Comment

Don't know - I'll check. It should have been changed at the last service 10 months ago.
            10 months ago ! id change it anyway
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

The STP did the trick - flew through with its best emissions output for years. Now to sell it!

Cheers.

Comment

Yo Guys,
                Best bet is to , Renew airfilter.
                Change oil,
                and if nessasary, buy some of that stuff from acsessory
                shops to thicken the oil!
                Also, grease propshaft and front suspension points just before the test. (it takes out any play).

Derek

Comment

Working...
                X