Wheel Bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Bearing

Just had a M.O.T and all tho it past, was told both my front wheel bearings are f###ed and said need to get it sorted, been told I may be able to adjust them instead of having to get new sets which would be £££, anyone know if they can be adjusted or do I have to get more if so from where dont think R/Trax do them?
    Also front anti-roll bar has play in pin/bush and nearside rear anti-roll bar linkage has play in ball joint are these easy things to fix?
    Surfer

http://www.toyotahilux.com/?doc=16&cid=161&vid=1078
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

Do a search on bearing tightening, i believe its doable
      Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by The Lang-Shankit Scunner
        Do a search on bearing tightening, i believe its doable
        it is doooooable i've done it (& have the stains in my underwear to prove it!!)

remove the little dust cap and the bolt in the end of the drive shaft, remove the 6 nuts and cone washers from the flange, watch out though those washers fly, I cover my hub with a cloth first.

The there is the locktab & locknut, you can then get to the wheel bearing nut.

reaonsably easy really
        Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Changing the bearings is a fairly easy job is you're handy with spanners and hammers. Dunno what the book time is, but I reckon I could change both the front ones in around 3 hours.

Bushes are easy to replace, as is the link. Get the bits from Roughtrax.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by davebloke2000
            Just had a M.O.T and all tho it past, was told both my front wheel bearings are f###ed and said need to get it sorted, been told I may be able to adjust them instead of having to get new sets which would be £££, anyone know if they can be adjusted or do I have to get more if so from where dont think R/Trax do them?
            Also front anti-roll bar has play in pin/bush and nearside rear anti-roll bar linkage has play in ball joint are these easy things to fix?
            Hi sorry to take the wind out of you sails, but if both front wheel bearings are f****d and he past it what else has let go that could be dangerious are you sure he said the are F****D or just Loose and need adjusting up.
            Live Life To The Full

Comment

Ditto what the guys said.

I dismantled and cleaned my front bearings last weekend. Reassembled with lots of lovely new grease.

And was gobsmacked at how smooth the truck felt whe I drove it up to Norh Wales this week. Almost no vibration from the front at all.

You'll need a couple of M10 bolts to thread into the flange - this allows you to slowly prise it off.

This link also has some pics

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/hubs.htm

EDIT - THOSE TWO BOLTS MIGHT BE M8 - CAN'T REMEMBER!
              Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 27 September 2007, 16:48.
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo

EDIT - THOSE TWO BOLTS MIGHT BE M8 - CAN'T REMEMBER!
                They are M8 X 1.25.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by davebloke2000
                  ....................... dont think R/Trax do them?
                  http://www.toyotahilux.com/?doc=16&cid=161&vid=218

http://www.toyotahilux.com/?doc=16&cid=161&vid=219

I'd tighten them first if they look OK, if they wear and go lose again replace them.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

i live near a company called city seals and bearings (they make toyota bearings and supply toyota) but they sell to the public get all my bearings and seals from there at a quarter of the cost gen part just not in a toyota rapping next time i pass i will look to see if there is a web site
                    my hub bearings cost me just under 6 quid each (bargin)
                    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK
                      .... (they make toyota bearings and supply toyota) .....
                      I think the counter guy migth have been getting carried away trying to impress you, they are just a reseller! Toyota bearings are normally Koyo for the front wheel bearings and Nachi for the rears.

But its true if you can find what size bearing you need, its often available cheaper then main dealer for the same bearing from a bearing shop. Still usually cheaper/easier to just get it from Roughtrax though.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                      X