heating probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heating probs

i have noticed lately that my engine seems to get really hot when on a steep incline almost into the red at one point on the m62 i had to put over and let her cool down is there a reason for this and what can i do to help this not happen i have already fitted a bonnet scoop to try and cool her down a bit any ideas would be appreciated
    thanks
    mick

Originally posted by mick19691
    i have noticed lately that my engine seems to get really hot when on a steep incline almost into the red at one point on the m62 i had to put over and let her cool down is there a reason for this and what can i do to help this not happen i have already fitted a bonnet scoop to try and cool her down a bit any ideas would be appreciated
    thanks
    mick
    is your coolant filled right up and is there any air locks in it all
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

There`s a sticky thread on the aus. site about a possible cause of overheating only when engine under load. It`s to do with a coolant pipe restricting water flow at the bottom of the rad. and apparently affects mostly 3 lt auto`s only. Could`nt read it all though yet as very long thread. It`s been around awhile so must have been mentioned on here before. Could be the culprit in someone like yours or Magnum Force`s case- who has replaced all coolant components and still get overheating.
      Here`s the link:
      http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=195
      Powered by Toyota!

Comment

Is yours an auto, if so then the transmission is cooled via a secodary lower tank, so when your trans gets hot, it transfers that to the rad and therefore the engine coolant.

Again, make sure you check all your cooing systems.

If it's a manual, then I've wasted my time telling you this.
        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

thanks it is an auto was thinking about getting one of them front mounted turbo intercoolers of ebay see it that helps plus mybe have abit more power would like to know from anyone who,s got one first to see if theyre any good
          thanks
          mick

Comment

Is your SCOOP rear facing?
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

no it faces front but i was planning to alter it anyway
              thanks

Comment

Chrisinflight mentioned the rad design..Having changed a couple, the restricted flow he's talking about becomes very apparant on removing the bottom hose..The pipe that takes the auto box fluid runs right across the the bottom hose outlet almost blocking it..well, maybe thats a little dramatic, but it does look kinda in the way.

My latest rad from roughtrax is the same housing, but a different design which does go some way to improving the flow..just thought i'd mention it..well, when i say improves, it "looks" like it "should", although my needle doesn't sit any lower than before.

Of course, Plumb bob's theory sounds more valid..i hadn't even thought of the auto box fluid dispersing heat into the rad coolant, but then i guess thats what it does..silly me..i think there is a dash warning that comes on should the ATF temp go too high, like when towing..i don't know how frequently people get that light, but i recal someone suggesting putting the car into park at traffic lights etc, rather than leaving it in drive with yer foot on the brake, like me!

Now i've re read your post, and noticed you said it gets hot "lately"..so kinda recent change eh?..nope, thats me out of my depth then..didn't take long did it?

gunge in the rad?....no, i'm gone.

Comment

Working...
                X