yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

front hubs, bearings & brakes..HELP please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front hubs, bearings & brakes..HELP please!

On my 3.0L got pad grinding on the front, so bang goes the holiday and out comes the pads, wheel bearings brass bushes and disks that I had forecast to do in 3 weeks
    now comes the questions
    wheels and hubs off no real probs, bearings out ok, new bearings in not too bad and seated well, oil seal did not want to go below the line of the rear of the hub, should it be rebated or is it OK flush?
    fitted new disk, any idea on torque settings for the 14mm bolts disk to hub?
    tried to refit hub, bit of a shove to get it on but packed with greese lugged washer on and caught the thread of the inner nut on, tightened it up, hub went stiff - very? backed it off till it was finger tight, hub still stiff to turn and not even linked to drivesharft, any idea's?
    also noticed there is play between the end of the driveshaft and the outer brass bush, is this OK or should it be an interference fit?
    Can,t realy understand what is occuring any pointers would be greatfully received
    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
    Tony

A bit late, but if the oil seal has not gone home into the hub that would make it tight.

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
      On my 3.0L got pad grinding on the front, so bang goes the holiday and out comes the pads, wheel bearings brass bushes and disks that I had forecast to do in 3 weeks
      now comes the questions
      wheels and hubs off no real probs, bearings out ok, new bearings in not too bad and seated well, oil seal did not want to go below the line of the rear of the hub, should it be rebated or is it OK flush?
      fitted new disk, any idea on torque settings for the 14mm bolts disk to hub?
      tried to refit hub, bit of a shove to get it on but packed with greese lugged washer on and caught the thread of the inner nut on, tightened it up, hub went stiff - very? backed it off till it was finger tight, hub still stiff to turn and not even linked to drivesharft, any idea's?
      also noticed there is play between the end of the driveshaft and the outer brass bush, is this OK or should it be an interference fit?
      Can,t realy understand what is occuring any pointers would be greatfully received
      as said before the seal need to be fully home and there is meant to be a little bit of play in the bronze bush.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Thanks guys, yep the oil seal did not seat and when i tried to slide on a new one on it's own it appeared to be too big - had to reuse the old , slid on a treat, have overcome most of the probs now....the hard way, guess who has to order a new inner bronze bush?
        made up a puller now!
        just a simple question, should the drive shaft come out with the bolts still in the inner flange? I tapped mine out gave a lot more space on the N/S will it be neccessary on the O/S?
        One thing I am surprised at is the lack of greese nipples to fill joints on the drive shafts - hell of a messy job to clean out and repack the inner joint!
        Tony

Comment

update .....spoke to barry there was an issue with the seals, now rectified and resolved, that will teach me for having the bits on the shelf and not doing the job untill a bank holiday. all new kits from roughtrax have the OK seals!
          Tony

Comment

update .....all new kits from roughtrax have the OK seals!
            god am i glad i read this
            doing mine(well garage lol) on thursday and dont need any setbacks cos im out in it thursday night
            at the end of the day................ it gets dark

Comment

hope yours goes better than mine is, ordered the calipers today, hopefully here tomorrow, fitting the new disks to the 2nd side only to find that the person that was there previously has managed to stretch all the bolts, so now have got to try to source 6 x10mm 20TPI (ithink) fine thread bolts to try to stand a chance of getting the truck back on the road tomorrow night. Does learning the hard way have to be just soooo hard...................now going to sit somewhere quiet, good job I havn't got a cat....and the missus better not say anything wrong............sob
              Tony

Comment

6 x10mm 20TPI (ithink) fine thread bolts
                Metric go by pitch, not TPI. Pretty sure they are 1,25 pitch. 1" (25mm) divided by 20 = 1.25.Take a bolt with you to be sure.

Nev

Comment

hope yours goes better than mine is, ordered the calipers today, hopefully here tomorrow, fitting the new disks to the 2nd side only to find that the person that was there previously has managed to stretch all the bolts, so now have got to try to source 6 x10mm 20TPI (ithink) fine thread bolts to try to stand a chance of getting the truck back on the road tomorrow night. Does learning the hard way have to be just soooo hard...................now going to sit somewhere quiet, good job I havn't got a cat....and the missus better not say anything wrong............sob

got a call today an hour into the job and the mechanic said the seal dont fit!!
                  there is apparently 4mm difference
                  he refited the old seal and will do the same tommorow when he does the other side as he shot off on a breakdown after finishing the first
                  will be posting 1 dirty seal and 1 clean seal back to barry me thinks
                  at the end of the day................ it gets dark

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                    Metric go by pitch, not TPI. Pretty sure they are 1,25 pitch. 1" (25mm) divided by 20 = 1.25.Take a bolt with you to be sure.

Nev
                    Hi nev
                    you might not believe this but, took the hub and a bolt, they wanted the chassis number, fortunately I have a profile on their computer system, but a bolt is a special part took 2 days and had to come from belgium. I was well savage bolts...special parts WTF, told them they didnt deserve to be a dealer - anyway job now compleated bushes, wheel bearings, disks, calipers, pads, braded hoses, sore hands and broken nails - but boy dont it stop!!

re the seals if yours have 62 85 10 let me know because if so Barry told me this was sorted weeks ago and I only had problems because I had held them unused - pity he didn't check who had bought the wrong ones, I also had a bronze bush that would not fit, he prommised to 'look after me', cos I had spent arround £400 this week, not only did he not refund me for the wrong size seals (I did get the b bush replaced) but he didn't look after me.
                    I did point out that his calipers were £20 ish more each than Milners to no avail and his braded hose sets are SHORTER than the standard rubber and dont fit the brackets and the clips distort to fit on them - wondering whether to use him again, I hate being caught and I have spent a fortune with him. Methinks he needs to look after regulars that support him
                    By the way is it normal to have to fit new pins in new calipers with a hammer and drift????????????
                    Tony

Comment

Hi nev
                      you might not believe this but, took the hub and a bolt, they wanted the chassis number, fortunately I have a profile on their computer system, but a bolt is a special part took 2 days and had to come from belgium. I was well savage bolts...special parts WTF
                      I don't know about "special". Can't remember if they have a non standard head on the bolt or something like that. Probably just the head of the bolt I would say, as quite often automotive bolts are like this. I just used High Tensile Bolts from a bolt and nut retailer. I do seem to remember having to use a different size socket to replace them but everything fitted back together perfectly. There is a chart somewhere on the net that has the standards for automotive and possibly other bolts so I will try to find it. As I said the only difference is often the size of the bolt head or the depth of the head. Some automotive bolts have a low profile head so they fit in narrow clearance situations.

Nev

Comment

re the seals if yours have 62 85 10
                        I believe the correct seals for the front hub are 66 X 85 X 10. Can you confirm or correct this? 62 X 85 X 10 may be for 2WD vehicles but I'm not sure of this. Will do some checking.

Nev

Comment

Roughtrax nightmare

Hi nev
                          you might not believe this but, took the hub and a bolt, they wanted the chassis number, fortunately I have a profile on their computer system, but a bolt is a special part took 2 days and had to come from belgium. I was well savage bolts...special parts WTF, told them they didnt deserve to be a dealer - anyway job now compleated bushes, wheel bearings, disks, calipers, pads, braded hoses, sore hands and broken nails - but boy dont it stop!!

re the seals if yours have 62 85 10 let me know because if so Barry told me this was sorted weeks ago and I only had problems because I had held them unused - pity he didn't check who had bought the wrong ones, I also had a bronze bush that would not fit, he prommised to 'look after me', cos I had spent arround £400 this week, not only did he not refund me for the wrong size seals (I did get the b bush replaced) but he didn't look after me.
                          I did point out that his calipers were £20 ish more each than Milners to no avail and his braded hose sets are SHORTER than the standard rubber and dont fit the brackets and the clips distort to fit on them - wondering whether to use him again, I hate being caught and I have spent a fortune with him. Methinks he needs to look after regulars that support him
                          By the way is it normal to have to fit new pins in new calipers with a hammer and drift????????????
                          Hiya,
                          I`m glad you finally sorted it out. That sounds like disgusting customer service from Roughtrax and you are perfectly within your rights to replicate your nightmare experience on here. There is nothing more frustrating than receiving the wrong parts! So, Roughtrax bits dont fit properly and the boss aint that bothered! Milners here we come.