Diff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff

Can someone tell me what the state of the rear diff on a surf is....
    i.e is it a limited slip diff etc....
    Can you put a diff lock on easily enough? would it be worth doing?
    What are the options...
    Cheers
    2 Tone Mud Master!
    http://www.sunsetsurf.co.uk

Originally posted by carbonman
    Can someone tell me what the state of the rear diff on a surf is....
    i.e is it a limited slip diff etc....
    Can you put a diff lock on easily enough? would it be worth doing?
    What are the options...
    Cheers
    Check your axle code here -

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/other/4_axles.html

Lockers are available but I'm not an expert on these so will leave it up to others.

Neville

Comment

'Limited' model 2nd gen Surfs and 4Runners from about 93' on usually come with a LSD, look for a small white sticker on the diff pumpkin, about 1x1 1/2" in size, idf the writing hasn't worn off, it'll say "LSD use LSD oil only" or simular.

Lockers can be fitted easily, fornt or rear, lock-rights are cheap and cheerfull, about £200, normal auto lockers are about £3-400, and the manual lockers are about £500+ plus extra for the compresser if its an air locker. You can fit a Toyota Supra rear LSD in a front IFS diff with a bit of messing around according to US websites.

They are as rare as hens teeth, but some import pickups have a Toyota electric locker in the rear, these are the nuts, but you'll be lucky to find one in a normal truck, let alone getting one from a breaker.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
        Check your axle code here -

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/other/4_axles.html

Lockers are available but I'm not an expert on these so will leave it up to others.

Neville
        my axle code is G295 so if i read that right i have a LSD is that right? this gonna be quite important to know when it comes time to change the diff oil. I understand they need different stuff.
        mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Greebo
          my axle code is G295 so if i read that right i have a LSD is that right? this gonna be quite important to know when it comes time to change the diff oil. I understand they need different stuff.
          Yeah, you need a 'thermicaly stable 90' oil. I bought loads last week.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Greebo
            Yep - 8" / 4.1 Ratio / 4 pinion LSD.

Is yours an auto?

Neville

Comment

Is yours an auto?

Neville

Ok so what have I got in mine A343F G1

Is this it 138mm/ 6.781 or 4.786 ratio/ 2 pinion LSD

if so what does the F stand for?
              Last edited by jotto; 20 February 2004, 13:25.
              I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Originally posted by jotto

One more thing is this back and front or just back????????????

Thanks
                I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Originally posted by jotto

That's the code for the gearbox.There is two numbers Trans/Axle.The axle code is the one to look at.

Front and rear difs are same ratio.Different size.

Neville

Comment

Is yours an auto?

Neville
                    yes nev it is.
                    next question is how does a LSD work (i think i know the mechanics of it).
                    does that mean when i lose traction i should rev it's arse off and the diff will let one side slip a lot before the other side starts to bite? does that make sense to anyone?
                    Last edited by Greebo; 20 February 2004, 21:32.
                    mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                      Yeah, you need a 'thermicaly stable 90' oil. I bought loads last week.
                      Sorry to revive an old thread! But after checking my VIN, i too have an LSD axle.

As I've just bought this truck, & have no idea how well its been looked after in the past - what would happen if somebody put "normal" axle oil in an LSD axle?

Cheers

James

Comment

Can anyone tell me what oil should be used in a 3rd gen rear Limited Slip Diff please. I drained out what looked like auto transmission fluid and replaced it with TRIPLE QX 75W90 Semi Synthetic oil (GL5 rated). That's before I realised it was LSD. I use the same oil in a standard 3rd gen rear diff.
                        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ajstars View Post
                          Can anyone tell me what oil should be used in a 3rd gen rear Limited Slip Diff please. I drained out what looked like auto transmission fluid and replaced it with TRIPLE QX 75W90 Semi Synthetic oil (GL5 rated). That's before I realised it was LSD. I use the same oil in a standard 3rd gen rear diff.
                          Thanks
                          Ok, ideally you should have used diff oil "suitable for LSD" or "LSD compatible", any brand, Comma, Total etc.I think in UK you can find it pretty much every where, Halfords and similar shops have it, Roughtrax etc.
                          However here I couldn't get hold of any, so I managed to find an LSD additive with friction enhancers or something like that, an american product, Champion.
                          I have then emptied the old oil out and refilled the diff with the additive ( its probaly no more that 1/4 of a litre bottle), then topped up with normal GL 5 gear/diff oil. It worked well coz it has retained the LSD function.
                          So if you want to save the fresh oil you have just put in you could try the same thing: get the additive, let a bit of oil out, stick the additive in, put the filler nut back on and you are away. Good luck

Comment

I got mine from roughtrax 4x4.

Comment

Mine looks like it HAD an LSD, if the sticker is anything to go by...

But it acts like its totally open... so I Imagine that some enterprising sort decided to put regular diff oil in it at some point..

I assume the Surfs had friction plate LSDs, as opposed to torsen style ones?
                              More Lift.
                              More Tyres.
                              More Engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X