Has my front stub axle shrunk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has my front stub axle shrunk?

Last year I did the bronze bushes on the drivers side of my 2nd gen Surf. With that experience in mind I did the other side yesterday.

All went well, got the bushes out and the new ones in. Reinserted the stub axle but it appears to have shrunk!

My stub axle protrudes past the outer bush only far enough to allow the circlip to be replaced. i.e. there is not sufficient room for the washer that should fit between the circlip and the outer bronze bush!

I played around with it for about an hour; checked the inner bronze bush was fully inserted, gave it some persuasion all to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Its driving me mad :-(
    Regards,
    Andrew
    G0RVM

bigger hammer
    TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Did you renew the inner hub seal?
      I have just done the same and the new seal inner diameter was way too small and would not let the hub rotate once I managed to get it all the way on.
      Fortunately the old seal was in good enough condition to re-use.

Comment

Unfortunetly the hub seal was not changed.....

Using a big hammer might work, it often fixes things, but there is nothing to hit - don't think the CV joint would appreciate it!
        Regards,
        Andrew
        G0RVM

Comment

I'd say you havn't got the bush or the outer CV all the way in, there is no other sensible answer.

Did you pull it in or knock it in with a hammer?

Try putting the bolt with the big washer back in the end of the axle, and with a prybar lever under it against a wheel stud, to pull the axle all the way through while you slide the washer and circlip on, that often how I have to do it, to overcome suction in the CV gaiters pullign the axle back.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

A mine of information as ever TonyN.

Both bushes were drawn in with a threaded bar. On first finding the problem I went back and checked again - they are both fully inserted.

Will give what you suggest a try once we get a dry weekend again

Thanks,
            Andrew
            Regards,
            Andrew
            G0RVM

Comment

This may help http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsit...ringsfront.htm
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

Working...
              X