help greasing up a 3rd gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help greasing up a 3rd gen

will be carrying out the above soon amongst others - who can tell me whether or not TonyN's servicing sticky for the driveshafts greasing (excluding balljoints) and diff oil changing apply to 3rd gens as well.

Cheers,

Ash.
    ash-ssrg

4runners.org

Either noboby knew the answer OR it was a dumba$$ question not worth replying to.... probably the latter!!

Anyway - got some 3rd gen info off a Yank website:
    http://4runners.org/

more specifically
    http://4runners.org/writeups/zerk/index.html

Good website even though some of the engine stuff doesn't apply.
    Planning to do the soundproofing mod soon.

YEEEH-HAH!!!

God bless america.
    ash-ssrg

Comment

Far as I know on third gens, ball joints are sealed types, so not greasable. Other than that, everything else should be pretty much the same. Just look for all the grease nipples you can find, and get 'em pumped with grease. Any decent lithium based grease should be fine.

Comment

grease gun tip

got my 3rg gen on ramp stands yesterday and crawled underneath for a pre-grease inspection.

WHAT AN EDUCATION. PS: seems I have an LSD in the rear.

located all the grease nipples and wiped them clean with some thinners.
        Got a 'quality' grease gun off the father-out-law but the tip does not want to go past the round bit of the nipple.

Do I have to use a bit more force or do I have the wrong gun tip type.??

Cheers,
        Ash.
        ash-ssrg

Comment

A standard tip should fit fine. May just need a bit of persuasion. Some have reported in the past that they couldn't get a standard jaw on for love nor money though, so one of those multi-claw grip types will get around that if yours is the same.

Comment

Working...
          X