X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Question?

Right,

Calipers and new flexi pipes arrived!

Fitted drivers side no problems, got the wife to pump pedal slowly and steadily while I loosened off the bleed valve!

Brake fluid squirting out and I duely tightened it up!

Why, oh why does it not work?

Engine on and off, I pump and pump and pump and pump but still the pedal seems to travel too far (almost to the floor!) and when I check the pads they are still loose!

There seems to be no tension on the pedal at all.

Before I changed the caliper the brakes needed attention but were ok!

What is wrong?

The other side is not connected as yet and a pair of vice grips are nipping the flexi pipe to stop leakage!

There are no obvious leaks either!

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Also, I pumped the pedal before I put the pads in and only one piston moved, it shot out and fluid poured out as well!

I thought WTF do pistons do this?

Surely this cannot be normal!

Gary

PS Could some kind person please do a "step by step" description of the proper way to bleed the brakes on a 2nd Gen, (for a first timer). I have searched the forum and found a few vague descriptions but none I can use!
    Last edited by hellmett; 6 June 2007, 20:35.

this may help

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/brakes.htm

this may help some more

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/brakecalipers.htm

Comment

Fitted drivers side no problems, got the wife to pump pedal slowly and steadily while I loosened off the bleed valve!

Brake fluid squirting out and I duely tightened it up!

Why, oh why does it not work?

You need a piece of snug fitting rubber pipe on the bleed nipple, and the other end submerged in brake fluid. Pump pedal slowly untill no more air comes out (keep an eye on the reservoir level!) get your assistant to hold the pedal to the floor while you tighten the nipple, then remove rubber pipe.

Engine on and off, I pump and pump and pump and pump but still the pedal seems to travel too far (almost to the floor!) and when I check the pads they are still loose!

There seems to be no tension on the pedal at all.

Before I changed the caliper the brakes needed attention but were ok!

What is wrong?

The other side is not connected as yet and a pair of vice grips are nipping the flexi pipe to stop leakage!

There are no obvious leaks either!

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Don't try and bleed the braking system until everything is fitted and correct, otherwise it's a waste of time

Also, I pumped the pedal before I put the pads in and only one piston moved, it shot out and fluid poured out as well!

Errr, why would you do that? of course the piston/s would pop out 'cos there's nothing to stop them, i.e. pads/discs.

I thought WTF do pistons do this?

Surely this cannot be normal!

Comment

Working...
      X