Gearbox 1st/2nd gear problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox 1st/2nd gear problems

I have a 3ltr turbo diesel manual surf 1993 that encounters gearbox problems every now and again and its driving me up the wall.
    what happens is when you take off in first (obviously) and rev it alot then change gears between 1st and 2nd the gears become harder to change and after you come to a halt, put the car in neutral, when you go to put it in 1st again it doesn't. i have to literally force the lever in and when you do manage to get it into 1st and you take off to get it into 2nd is the same thing. i've tried changing the gear oil, master clutch cylinder, slave clutch cylinder, bleeding the clutch and no luck. does it in either 2wd or 4wd mode. when you drive really slow and keep the revs under 2500 it drives ok, its only when you rev it past 2500-3000 and go to change gears that it locks up. does anyone have any ideas or can help me out its really stressing me out. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Shev from Oz

Originally posted by 4x4
    I have a 3ltr turbo diesel manual surf 1993 that encounters gearbox problems every now and again and its driving me up the wall.
    what happens is when you take off in first (obviously) and rev it alot then change gears between 1st and 2nd the gears become harder to change and after you come to a halt, put the car in neutral, when you go to put it in 1st again it doesn't. i have to literally force the lever in and when you do manage to get it into 1st and you take off to get it into 2nd is the same thing. i've tried changing the gear oil, master clutch cylinder, slave clutch cylinder, bleeding the clutch and no luck. does it in either 2wd or 4wd mode. when you drive really slow and keep the revs under 2500 it drives ok, its only when you rev it past 2500-3000 and go to change gears that it locks up. does anyone have any ideas or can help me out its really stressing me out. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Shev from Oz
    Sounds a bit like the syncro's has worn out in the gearbox, rebuild or replace is usually the only option.

Does the clutch feel OK, could be dragging and not disenguaging properly.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

De-tents, detence, dedent??

Our '90 Surf was giving problems changing into 3rd and 4th. Mechanic thought it was the mechanism which holds the lever in place (De-tents, detence, dedent??), which can get a bit sticky. He went for a ride, stopped, and really jammed the lever all the way in each gear forcefully, and it's been good ever since! (PS don't blame me if your lever busts off- thats almost how hard he pushed it.)

Comment

Try changing gear by Double Declutching - i.e Depress clutch, move gear lever to neutral, release clutch, depress clutch, rev engine slightly, move into new gear, release clutch.

Takes some practice but if you get it right then you should be able to change gear OK with knackered synchros. If you can't ever get a smooth change doing this, then it is something else like a sticky release bearing, bent gear shaft, bearings or something else.

Cheers

Comment

Does the clutch feel OK, could be dragging and not disenguaging properly?

When the gears start playing up then the clutch is not disengaging properly. but if the gears go in nicely the clutch
          engages fine. its only when the gears won't go in or won't come out of gear that the clutch
          does not disengage properly.
          the clutch doesn't feel worn out and is not slippling though.

Big thanks to all those who replied, really apreciate your help on this, i'm hopefully getting
          the box pulled apart soon to see what the problem is. Will keep you guys posted. Thanks again.

Comment

Was going to post something about lubricating the cable, then I realised I have no idea if the clutch is cable or hydraulic operated
            If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Nope, its a hydraulic clutch

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but my 2nd gen has exactly the same
                problem. has anybody got the answer yet? I think it may be the
                springs in the DM flywheel. The first time i suspected something was
                wrong was when take off in 1st was very jerky,unless I slipped the clutch a lot.Hope someone can help!
                johnt

Comment

Working...
                X