Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint My Nuts With Hammerite!!!!

Greetings!

Having just polished my wheels like chrome and putting a new set of General Grabber AT2's on, I have noticed that my wheel studs looked rusty, tarnished and generally awful!

I am going to attempt to paint them with black smooth hammerite!

After a good rubbing down of course!

Any ideas, views, suggestions?

I know that when I go to tighten them they might crack or chip etc. but I was thinking of touching them up when and if that happens!

Later!

Gary

You're nuts!

Good luck, but I'd guess paint will come off even quicker than the chrome. paint then when they are on, and hope you can still get the socket over the paint when you want to get them off again.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi

When you spray the paint heat it up first in a jug of boiling water till the can is hot like a radiator in your house dont let it boil or you will get messy when it explodes.

Heat the nuts with a hot air gun or hair dryer.

Spray on a small tacking coat. and spray a wee bit on news paper keep touching the paper till you finger stops sliding on the paint and starts to stick keep adding layers onto the tacky paint and drying with hair dryer/ hot air gun dont let the paint bubble you will get really powder coated results that will look magic.

Cheers JB I used to do a lot of painting and finishing.
      www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

will this technique work for cast brake calipers too?

My mate wants to paint his.
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Yes this is the best way to apply hammerite. It does a mirros finnish every time and gives a hard heat resistent finish on rads etc.

Cheers JB

Comment

Re

Well,

Done the first set of studs and they came out very good.

The black looks really well against the shiny alloys and when I tightened them they didn't chip or crack!

I forgot to mention, I wasn't using the rattle can only a tin and paintbrush!

All the same they turned out brilliant!

I did my calipers as well, just cleaned them really well and painted with red smooth hammerite, did some checking first and hammerite is good up to 450 degrees.

Later!

Gary
            Last edited by hellmett; 19 May 2007, 16:11.

Comment

A bit late now, but another alternative...........

http://search.ebay.co.uk/chrome-whee...fsooZ1QQfsopZ1

You'll have to measure yer nuts though!

Comment

Your making me feel lazy, I haven't washed mine yet this last couple of months.

looks good though

Cheers JB

Comment

That truck is mighty clean underneath!

How did you polish your alloys?
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Re

Originally posted by KERRSURF
                    That truck is mighty clean underneath!

How did you polish your alloys?
                    Not really that hard!

See here:-

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=32927

Here:-

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=32368

http://www.polcenter.com/3/polish108.html

http://home.off-road.com/~kemanuel/S...l/SR5Wheel.htm

and here:-

http://771doug.netfirms.com/polish.html

The vehicle isn't finished yet, I'm still working on it but it will be as clean as a whistle when I'm done!

Undersealing and painting trim, replacing broken bits, tightening, polishing, bleeding, greasing etc. etc.

Well overdue!

Will post pics when I'm through!

Later!

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                      A bit late now, but another alternative...........

http://search.ebay.co.uk/chrome-whee...fsooZ1QQfsopZ1

You'll have to measure yer nuts though!

Cheaper than a tin of hammerite!
                      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Nuts! I went $$$$$$ NUTS!!!!!!

I have just spent the best part of 2 hours waiting for the Rac in my local Tescos. I rung my hubby, my brother and nobody knew what was wrong with my surf. I drove into Tesco fine. Parked up, left my 2 teenagers an 8 year old. A mastiff and a rotty to guard my precious surf. 10 mins later came out it started fine, but looked on dash, next to Od/off light lit up was AT/P. What the hell does that mean? I thought well she running lets get her home. Put in reverse. Nothing. Put in drive, nothing,,,,,,,,,,,,Oh $$$$ I thought. Went to put it back in park and it made a horrible grinding noise.
                        I rung hubby, he was working away didn't know what it was. Rung my brother, he was none the wiser too.... So i reluctantly rung the Rac.... In the wait how I wished I had a telephone hotline number to this forum. I asked my daughter does she think Tesco will let me use their internet to ask you guys.
                        Anyway cut a very stressful story short.. After I'd threatened to push the car off a cliff, s$$$$ it and kick the $$$$ out of it for costing me sooooo much money. The lovely Rac man arrived. He asked me had I checked the gear box oil. 'Yes I said'. 'Are you sure it wasn't the engine oil you checked',he replied. 'NO, I definetly checked the gearbox oil, I have helped change one before so I know where it is'. Well I better check he said. aaaaaaaahhhhh
                        Oh your right it's ok. By then reality had hit. My surf was done for again. I've had it 1 year and it has been off the road for 5 months of that. Anyway to cut a very long story short. It turns out when I'd left my litttle angels in the car , one of them had kicked the 4x4 lever into neutral...Which stopped the whole thing working...Am I a idiot or what . I didn't even think to check that. It didn't even look out of place. So thank you Mr Rac Man, you've made my day...

Comment

Re

It can happen to anyone!

Hope it hasn't put you off too much!

Gary

Comment

I do love my surf

It hasn't put me off at all. I just had a real bad day.
                            In fact I defend it all the time against people who take the mick about how often it breaks down....
                            My faith is restored and I learnt a new thing. If the 4x4 ain't in high or low I don't go nowhere. (Keep it quiet,I didn't know that)

Comment

Working...
                            X