Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintance info - BallJoints+Steering fluid

Hi, Just guide me as always
    1. Where are the greasing plugs for ball joints on 3 gen.
    2. How to drain the steering fluid. Is that big nut on the steering rack housing need to be opened?

Thanx
    Truckin' Time

Originally posted by turbolover
    Hi, Just guide me as always
    1. Where are the greasing plugs for ball joints on 3 gen.
    2. How to drain the steering fluid. Is that big nut on the steering rack housing need to be opened?

Thanx

The ball joints are the sealed type.
    Not done it myself, but I would assume the power steering fluid is drained by disconnecting one of the hoses on the pump.

Comment

Oh really, maintance free? that not a good news.
      Truckin' Time

Comment

Originally posted by turbolover
        Oh really, maintance free? that not a good news.
        Ball joints with grease nipples are asking to be pumped with grease to take out slack from a worn joint instead of dealing with a worn ball joint & replacing it.

I work in the motor trade & you normally find that Genuine ball Joints don't have grease nipples & copy parts do.

As for the steering rack, I wouldn't loosen that big nut, if you wish to drain the fluid I would undo the feed pipe.

Comment

I read somewhere that you can take the small metal threaded plug out and fit a standard grease nipple, pump in your grease, and then refit the plug.
          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by lclascaris
            Ball joints with grease nipples are asking to be pumped with grease to take out slack from a worn joint instead of dealing with a worn ball joint & replacing it.

I work in the motor trade & you normally find that Genuine ball Joints don't have grease nipples & copy parts do.
            The 2nd gen originals have the blanking plug on the balljoints, which can be unbolted and a grease nipple inserted. M6 thread. Just because someone greases their balljoints does not mean they are suffering problems with them, BTW. That sealed is best ideaology is plainly and simply wrong.

Comment

i agree with that above,
              ball joints with grease nipples can be greased to help prevent them from wearing out, and also a bit of grease packing on a worn balljoint with a two ton truck on top of it wont hide anything, and further more the mot tester worth his salt, checks for slack and play with a crow bar.

i don't believe that Toyota became the richest motor industry on the planet from doing things wrong. they probably don't put grease nipples on later models for one of or two reasons, ease of manufacturing process, and to take the basic maintanence jobs of the bloke who owns the veichle.

Comment

Working...
              X