Rattles the mystery of!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattles the mystery of!

Got a 92 ssr-g 2.4td and for the last week or so I have been hearing a metallic rattling noise coming from under me (not the engine) it doesn't happen when I am stationary in any way, it only starts to rattle with speeds of over 10mph its driving me mad, and you can quite clearly hear it as it drives past you but I cant find any way to hear it without the car driving, at a guess it seems to be comming from the central diff. Ive crawled underneath and theirs nothing loose that I can see.

Any ideas on how or what this is, also when I tend to turn a sharp bend when I have just got in it in the morning you get a clunking noise as you turn a corner, the same type of noise as if you have just engaged the four wheel drive.... weird can anyone help!!

Thanks guys and girls

Eliot

Originally posted by Surf Bum
    Got a 92 ssr-g 2.4td and for the last week or so I have been hearing a metallic rattling noise coming from under me (not the engine) it doesn't happen when I am stationary in any way, it only starts to rattle with speeds of over 10mph its driving me mad, and you can quite clearly hear it as it drives past you but I cant find any way to hear it without the car driving, at a guess it seems to be comming from the central diff. Ive crawled underneath and theirs nothing loose that I can see.

Any ideas on how or what this is, also when I tend to turn a sharp bend when I have just got in it in the morning you get a clunking noise as you turn a corner, the same type of noise as if you have just engaged the four wheel drive.... weird can anyone help!!

Thanks guys and girls

Eliot
    Eliot.

Things to look at.

1. The exhaust - may not rattle until you are moving.
    2. Propshaft UJs
    3. Front CV joints inner and outer.

With regards to the noise when turning, could either be the CV joints or more likely the steering stops as these are a known problem. They have a plastic cap on them but this wears out and allows metal to hit metal. A blob of grease on them works wonders.

Cheers

Comment

Cheers just got under her and turned the front prop and I have no Idea if this is normal but I to get a sort of rattle or play noise which if I hold onto the second shaft which of course doesnt turn I can feel a knock. not sure what it is ??

And to that thing u said to grease where do I find it sorry im a real novice

thanks for your help

Comment

log on to yahoo mate

Comment

Working...
        X