Reducing Suspension lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing Suspension lift

I recently bought a Surf SSR-X 3.0 TD 94/95 (M reg)(private sale) < I have just had it serviced at a good reliable garage and the mechanic informed me that the front suspention has been "jacked up" to the maxium extent of the torsion bars (Front suspension), and the rear coil springs have also been replaced (max lift of about 4") - Question -: how do I get it back to "Normal", and what bits do I need ??
    The mechanic said that the front shock absorbers are stretched to the max and should probably be replaced, help and advice needed please

The front is easy, just wind them down again.

info here....

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/torsion/

For the rear, 4" should have a lot of brackets on the 4 link arms, and either spacers or long springs. Just remove all the gubbings, and if you have spacers under the coils, take then out, or you'll need new springs.

The cheapest answer would be to lower the front to the max CV joint angle will allow (about 1 1/2" above factory settings, and see how it sits compared to the rear.)

Got any pics? Unless you have really small tyres, leave it about 2" (1 1/2" at the front) over standard, it looks much better, and helps with rear bumper clearance when offroading
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Why?
      Derek :
      1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
      [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
        Why?
        More than a small tweek on the front torsions will result in split gaters and worn CV joints in no time. Unless you fit locking hubs so front axles don't rotate all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          More than a small tweek on the front torsions will result in split gaters and worn CV joints in no time. Unless you fit locking hubs so front axles don't rotate all the time.
          Delboy locks manually. Why not leave the expensive mod in place! Instead add longer travelling shocks and manual hubs.

After that why not up the tyre size to max for the ride and check the springs arent lowlifes and up them too with supertrux or roughtrax ones

Originally posted by Yaz and The Plastic Population
          The only way is UP

Comment

The mechanic who serviced it said that th shocks were extended to their limit and were virtulaty inifective, I just wanted to "nomalize" the machine , I dont do much off roading so dont need the extra clearance, I am now confused about the references to manual hubs etc. explanations please, see attached pics, the wheels are 16" and the tyre sizez are 265/70/r15, I realy am new to these machines and would appreciate any advice, thanks
            Attached Files
            Last edited by pks; 13 February 2004, 18:34.

Comment

Do a full suspension swap with someone who wants to raise theres & you both save money
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by pks
                The mechanic who serviced it said that th shocks were extended to their limit and were virtulaty inifective, I just wanted to "nomalize" the machine , I dont do much off roading so dont need the extra clearance, I am now confused about the references to manual hubs etc. explanations please, see attached pics, the wheels are 16" and the tyre sizez are 265/70/r15, I realy am new to these machines and would appreciate any advice, thanks

I bet it's a tight SQUEEZE getting them 15" tyres on 16" wheels.

HE HE HE HE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mick b
                  I bet it's a tight SQUEEZE getting them 15" tyres on 16" wheels.

HE HE HE HE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  ooh! cheap shot! bwahahaha.

but it needs bigger tyres, or less lift for sure.

You may find the upper front bump stops will be resting on the A arms, leading to a rough ride, the shocks may be OK. You can extend the shocks by raising the mounting points with some spaces.

Comment

Working...
                  X