No announcement yet.

front torsion bars and a little oil...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front torsion bars and a little oil...

hey there fellow surfers,

i have a couple of questions....

1) i want to jack up the surf, i got the springs and shocks just wondering where do i wind in the front torision bars??? had a look and found what i beleive to be torsion bars only not too clear where to wind them in??

2) is there a "favourite" spot for the transmission to leak as i was under the gal today and noticed some thin reddish oil in the x member and the bell housing, the leak seemed to go up half way on one side, is there a seal inside or is there a tell tale hole or ????

many thanks in advance for all help and advice

ttfn

graham

p.s. it is a 2nd gen ln130 1993

Originally posted by graham78
    hey there fellow surfers,

i have a couple of questions....

1) i want to jack up the surf, i got the springs and shocks just wondering where do i wind in the front torision bars??? had a look and found what i beleive to be torsion bars only not too clear where to wind them in??

2) is there a "favourite" spot for the transmission to leak as i was under the gal today and noticed some thin reddish oil in the x member and the bell housing, the leak seemed to go up half way on one side, is there a seal inside or is there a tell tale hole or ????

many thanks in advance for all help and advice

ttfn

graham

p.s. it is a 2nd gen ln130 1993
    here's the info on the torsion bars but i can't help you with the leak
    http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/suspension.htm
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

If the leaking oil is reddish then it's probably ATF fluid (auto gearbox oil). Check the level as it could just be overfilled, otherwise you might have problems with the torque converter.
      Mike G

Comment

thanks for the tips guys, getting her looked at on monday by a guy near trowbridge..
        i looked at the lik for the torsin bars and i am having probs relating/understanding ti can anyone please give me an idiots guide/explanation as to how i tighten them up???
        many thanks in advance

graham

Comment

Originally posted by graham78
          thanks for the tips guys, getting her looked at on monday by a guy near trowbridge..
          i looked at the lik for the torsin bars and i am having probs relating/understanding ti can anyone please give me an idiots guide/explanation as to how i tighten them up???
          many thanks in advance

graham
          jack the front end up so both wheels are off the ground.Then roughly under the back of the front seats on the underside of the floor you will find the adjustment bolts just turn them a few turns at a time on each and then lower the front and take the surf for a quick spin to allow the front to settle.Then measure from the top of the wheel rim to the underside of the wheel arch to see what the gaps are.If they are different then repeat the above until level.You can only adjust 1.5 - 2 in max on the torsion bars.HTH
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

thanks stormforce, i should be getting the new shocks and springs on monday and for a start i have opted for 2" i think i will get more later but that will do for now...
            see how it goes when i fit them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
              jack the front end up so both wheels are off the ground.Then roughly under the back of the front seats on the underside of the floor you will find the adjustment bolts just turn them a few turns at a time on each and then lower the front and take the surf for a quick spin to allow the front to settle.Then measure from the top of the wheel rim to the underside of the wheel arch to see what the gaps are.If they are different then repeat the above until level.You can only adjust 1.5 - 2 in max on the torsion bars.HTH

In addition to what Richard said,put a paint or chalk mark on the head of the bolt so that it will be easier to count the number of turns.

Comment

Working...
              X