damn fuel filter changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slydog
    my wife filled our diesel citroen up with petrol lol right to the top if you put a milk bottle of engine oil in the tank and swish it about its ok. it will run lumpy but its not a problem as the ouil is there to lubricate the seals in the pump lol just for future referance no need to drain it out mate mark
    how do you ignite the fuel?
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      Adding petrol is no different in theory to the propane assist kits, adding a little to the diesel will cause a dodgy motor to run cleaner and make more power as the gas or petrol will get ignited by the diesel combusing, letting you use less deisel to each fuel charge.

Obviously you gotta watch how much petrol you chuck in, LPG kits are set up properly when fitted to run nice.

Yeh I got told that too and it worked fine for 25 miles then I got a bill for a call out
      25 miles was probably the fuel in filter and fuel lines
      Keith

PS that was in Belgium where the blue pump lines are not diesel
      I never ever apologise for anything. http://www.onestopshopformultimedia.com/smile.gif If you dont like it I am sorry but thats the way I am

Comment

Originally posted by myself
        update on my poor starting after running v low on juice and then changing fuel filter:

having refitted the filter again, bled all injectors then doing a real injector cleaner job with a bottle of bardahl injector cleaner poured into the filter and brought for long spin ... the engine runs smooth when warmed up but still needs to be coaxed to start
        today i went out popped the bonnet and just gave the hand pump a few darts and heard a hiss down under near the diesel pump
        i have a leak somewhere down there and its dripping off the other end of the filter-pump fuel pipe
        That leak turned out to be a hole which started as a slit a long time ago in the 'filter-pump' fuel hose. The stock clip had torn into the hose and there was now a hole. Took the hose off, cut 2 inches off it, refitted the hose and she started now no probs ... until the next morning
        As it turned out I now had her starting but now she ran very poorly for a good 10seconds or so and I mean very poorly. Last night after nearly committing myself to the madhouse I found that although all my injector pipe-nuts were sound, there is a little 17mm brown nut below the main 17mm nut, see the picture, and it was 1/8th of a turn loose .

This might help others who have poor running just after starting. Wouldnt have found it either if I hadnt removed the whole air piping from the turbo to and including the lid of the air filter, u get great access to the injectors that way.
        Now as before I have on the button starting - bring on the cold weather .

Its great knowing how much dosh I've just saved meself coz if I had given this to a garage, they probly would've done for a new pump and injectors and God knows what else.

Comment

Not sure if this is the problem that you have but here is my two cents worth.
          I had a few problems with starting, it would crank well but not start.
          It turned out that the manual primer on the top of the fuel filter had a hole in the diaphragm and allowed an air leak in.
          Ripped the #@$% out and threw a new one in $120 later
          Now it's turn the key and bang we're away, although 2 BIG batteries help too.
          Simon.O.
          '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Hi all

I went for the safer option and draind tank and fuel filter when wife filled up with petrol.... Those plastic storage boxes fit snug under tank to catch the drained fuel, was $hitting myself while it was under the car though.

Also we have full cover from green flag, but they charged my wife £25 recovery for doing such a dumb thing

Cheers
            Dai

Comment

Working...
            X