Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Smoke

I was emailed this question from PAULO
    I was wondering if you or anybody you know would know why even though I have change the fuel filter, the air filter, oil and filter, cleaned the turbo pipes why it still knocks out black smoke under load namely when I change from first to second gear and accelerate bosh quite a bit of black smoke but if I just gradually accelerate it is ok.
    It doesn't use any oil though.
    As a newsurfer to this site I don't seem to be able to pose this question to everyone so I looked for someone who seems to use the forum alot "namely you". if you can help I would very grateful as it is really getting on my t's now and the the pavement dwellers of this world seem to be going off me to "ha ha". though I am nice and stay away from kurb puddles. anyway even if you don't know the answer do you how I can pose the question to everyone in the forum.
    Many Thanks
    Regards
    Paul.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Originally posted by marky
    I was emailed this question from PAULO
    I was wondering if you or anybody you know would know why even though I have change the fuel filter, the air filter, oil and filter, cleaned the turbo pipes why it still knocks out black smoke under load namely when I change from first to second gear and accelerate bosh quite a bit of black smoke but if I just gradually accelerate it is ok.
    It doesn't use any oil though.
    As a newsurfer to this site I don't seem to be able to pose this question to everyone so I looked for someone who seems to use the forum alot "namely you". if you can help I would very grateful as it is really getting on my t's now and the the pavement dwellers of this world seem to be going off me to "ha ha". though I am nice and stay away from kurb puddles. anyway even if you don't know the answer do you how I can pose the question to everyone in the forum.
    Many Thanks
    Regards
    Paul.
    that would be the fuel pump timing too far advanced.
    um.... i think?
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Diesels in general smoke a bit under hard acceleration, chuck in a bottle (yes whole bottle) of redex and give it a good blast.
      If its not doing it all the time I would suggest it ain't nothing to worry about, but you get get the pump checked out for peace of mind.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

S S R G is the only way to surf

scottish mud club member kerelawsurf

Comment

Black smoke

When you put your foot down with a diesel it tries to give you what you want, more speed, or pull and to this effect the fueling will almost go to max.
          If this has been "ADJUSTED" as mine has to give more GRUNT then you will get black smoke "excess fuel".
          Either put you foot down slowly or back off the max fuel at the pump but beware you will lose some pull, grunt, power, go, etc.

Black smoke under load and pulling IS GOOD.

Mike

Comment

dont turbos recirculate the exhaust gasses, so everytime the recirculater releases the exhaust gases go through the turbo again and you also get what was just burnt in the engine.
            i think that right :S

Comment

Would say try the EGR mod that stopped my old girl smoking ,
              and the truck ha ha

Chris
              GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

I think he may have sorted by now, the original post is almost 4 years old
                Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

Old thread alert!!!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by toyboata
                    dont turbos recirculate the exhaust gasses, so everytime the recirculater releases the exhaust gases go through the turbo again and you also get what was just burnt in the engine.
                    i think that right :S
                    Not quite, the EGR recirculates the exhasut gas, to reduce Nox emisions under heavy throttle.

Surf turbos use the exhaust gas flow to spin them round, thats all, nothing fancy or bizzare.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Turbos

A turbo is just like a small jet engine with the fuel,(gas) supplied by the engine.
                      Air and fuel are burned in the engine and in their rush for the expanded hot gas to get outside to atmosphere they are routed through an exhaust gas rotor turbine which spins at high speed.
                      Attached to the other end of the turbine shaft is a compressor turbine which sucks in fresh air and compresses it and stuffs it in to the engine under a pressure greater than atmospheric pressure.
                      In theory if you double the atmospheric pressure in the engine cylinder you in theory could put in twice the fuel and get twice the standard HP that would be expected from a non turbo engine.
                      For example a 1 litre non turbo engine will give X horsepower.
                      If you turbo the engine at a positive boost of 14.7psi and double the fuel you will expect to get 2X horsepower. twice the fuel plus twice the air equals twice the horse power as you have fooled the engine into thinking it is a 2 litre unit.
                      Once the exhaust gas has spun the turbine you MUST get rid if it as easily and quickly as possible with a larger bore exhaust pipe as any back pressure kills all turbos as they DO NOT like any back pressure whatsoever.

So to get back to your question the exhaust gas should NEVER get back into the inlet to the engine EVER.
                      The EGR system is supposed to save the planet and try and re burn the gas again but this is like having a pipe from your bum to your mouth and re breathing what comes out, not nice I dont think.

Reagards.
                      Mike
                      Last edited by muller1; 25 December 2007, 10:22.

Comment

The EGR system is supposed to save the planet and try and re burn the gas again but this is like having a pipe from your bum to your mouth and re breathing what comes out, not nice I dont think.

Comment

Black Smoke

WELL!!!! dont know what happened to it but been running on Bio for a few weeks back on normal diesel and for some reason l can see the vehicle behind me now even at night can anyone answer that.
                          Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by Hilux
                            WELL!!!! dont know what happened to it but been running on Bio for a few weeks back on normal diesel and for some reason l can see the vehicle behind me now even at night can anyone answer that.

All of your rear view mirrors are correctly adjusted?

Comment

Black Smoke

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                              All of your rear view mirrors are correctly adjusted?
                              Hi yes mirrors are fine so is the truck never run better in the 11 years l have had it. Forgot to mention its a 4.2T/D Landcruiser and has always smoked l actually stopped and checked l had oil in the engine, why l dont know it does not loose or burn oil. Virtually what l put in at oil changes is still the same amount l put in.
                              Live Life To The Full

Comment

Working...
                              X