squeeky noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squeeky noise

My 1992 2.4 td surf makes a noise like a tinny squeek from cold that noticebly changes when you change from 2wd to 4wd. As you accelerate then take foot off pedal the noise appears. It doesnt seem to make the noise accelerating but does dissapear after some time when driving and engine is warm. There does seem to be a link with the 4wd and or 2wd switching. There is no performance problems and no effect or change when braking The noise seems to come from around the front off side wheel but under the car. Also seems to be linked to speed ie louder when faster but as I say only appears after accelerating then take foot off pedal. Does it thru all the gear range

Originally posted by timt
    My 1992 2.4 td surf makes a noise like a tinny squeek from cold that noticebly changes when you change from 2wd to 4wd. As you accelerate then take foot off pedal the noise appears. It doesnt seem to make the noise accelerating but does dissapear after some time when driving and engine is warm. There does seem to be a link with the 4wd and or 2wd switching. There is no performance problems and no effect or change when braking The noise seems to come from around the front off side wheel but under the car. Also seems to be linked to speed ie louder when faster but as I say only appears after accelerating then take foot off pedal. Does it thru all the gear range
    your not using 4wd on the road by any chance are you.If you are then you could end up causing some serious damage
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I had a SQUEEK Its gone now the little sod
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
        your not using 4wd on the road by any chance are you.If you are then you could end up causing some serious damage
        No I am not using 4wd on the road but I had it suggested that the various cogs etc may need lubricating in 4wd as it doest get used much in 4wd and they can dry out a bit and a quick run may help to lub up. That is how i noticed that it seemed to be linked to (poss) the mecanisms of switching.

Comment

Try greasing all the drive shaft nipples, see general maintenance for details, you will need a grease gun.

BTW welcome to the asylum, and fill in your vehicle details.
          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Yes I will give that a try this weekend I suppose the best way to access them is to jack up slightly as the angle of some of hew nipples is up and to get to them with the gun is a bit awkward

Comment

The only one that's a bugger to get to without it being raised is the one on the prop at the rear diff. The others are manageable with it planted on the floor. You want some M6 nipples if you're planning on doing your balljoints whilst you're at it.

Comment

Working...
              X