yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rear diff tech help, oil every where!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear diff tech help, oil every where!!!!!

noticed today that i had rather alot of oil on my tow bar. on further investigation i descovered my rear diff has sh1t it's self all over the underside of my truck i'm thinkin' maybe the breather is blocked form my sailsbury plain session last weekend. would this blow the seals/gaskets? also, would it take a week to blow, or would it have done it on the way back from the plain. about 30 miles for me????

any help or ideas?
    Last edited by G60-R; 21 January 2007, 21:50.
    Passat G60 Syncro 4WD 200hp FOR SALE .

going through sandy gritty mud has worn away the seals on my diff and transfer box on the landcruiser, i have to top it up every time i take it off road, but hoping it could be your breather blocked , once the pressure has built up the oil escapes from the weakest exit, let us know how you get on,
    JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

The oil will either have come from the breather or from the front flange seal so it should be easy to see which is leaking by looking for the oil trace. Even if it's the seal that has gone it's not a bad job to change it.
      Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

it's defo not the breather. thats the only bit not covered in oil. the whole diff casing is covered so bit hard to tell where the leak is at the mo. i'm gonna have to get dirty at some point and inspect.

Comment

If its over the center of the diff its probably the pinion seal, the pinion nut can come loose sometimes, you need the remove the rear prop and see if the flange is loose, while its loose change the seal, or just tighen it up.

Don't over torque it, there is a crush collar behind the nut that sets the diff gear preload, if you over crush it to much the gears will wear quickly.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

any rear diff guards for sale anywhere??
            TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlee31
              any rear diff guards for sale anywhere??
              You won't need them! Unless you're planning on dropping the truck onto a rock from a great height!!

All they do it lower diff clearance. Not worth the effort.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

he he, watch this space for my next post, i dropped my diff onto a rock from a great height.
                TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  If its over the center of the diff its probably the pinion seal, the pinion nut can come loose sometimes, you need the remove the rear prop and see if the flange is loose, while its loose change the seal, or just tighen it up.

Don't over torque it, there is a crush collar behind the nut that sets the diff gear preload, if you over crush it to much the gears will wear quickly.

cheers TONYN, i'm just about to get under her and pull it apart. have ordered a new breather and oil seal from milners. hopefully all is plain sailing

Comment

Working...
                  X