V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8

Seriously considering carbed rover V8 and taking the rover gearbox but keeping the hilux transfer box. Any pointers hints tips or experiences appreciated.

Have weighed up the pros and cons and I think it would be false economy to put a second hand 2.4 engine in due to the possibility of head failure. So rather than go through the hassle of re-looming to fit the 3 litre V8 seems a cheaper alternative.

My biggest worry is finding that the transmission tunnel isnt big enough to accomodate the V8. I think some serious research is in order.

Tony your thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreicited being as though you own both a surf and a rover V8ed vehicle.

Cheers in advance

Ian
    Objects in the rear view mirror are losing

Good morning Ian

Check with Milners they do a V8 Adapter plate to gearbox for Surf. Not sure if its for an auto or not. Think its £200+

Geoff
    Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Cheers geoff

Will have to give them a ring to find out more details. But with the V8 conv would prefer to go manual anyhow.

Ian
      Objects in the rear view mirror are losing

Comment

Originally posted by high-surfer
        Cheers geoff

Will have to give them a ring to find out more details. But with the V8 conv would prefer to go manual anyhow.

Ian
        Ian.

Still think you should go for a Small Block Chevy or Ford. They are heavier than the Rover lump but they are very cheap for parts and are absolutely bullet proof. With a TH350 Auto box (you would need to reshape the transmission tunnel to fit however it shouldn't be too difficult) you would have a combination that you absolutely couldn't ever break. You can get adaptor plates to convert to the Toyota box but the Torque would probably kill it. You can get adaptors for the TH350 to fit the Toyota Transfer case from the US.

Here is a site where I guy did it with a Small Block Ford (SHO) mated to a Toyota Auto box (AH340).

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~jonhel5/.

One other nice thing on the Small Block Chevy engine is that it runs very cool and is not at all fragile if the engine overheats.

I used to run a Camaro with a 283 Small Block Corvette lump in it. It ran on 7 cylinders for most of the time because it had bad compression on one cylinder and would still pull the car to over 130mph without breaking sweat. It also broke the water pump and dumped water all over the M40. Drove it a further 25 miles to work with no water in it, got a new water pump delivered to work for £60, fitted it in less than an hour, filled it with water and drove it home. No side effects on the engine and ran as sweet as a nut for another year before I sold it.

You could pick up a Small block pretty cheap if you look in the adverts section in American Classics.

Oh and by the way if you hadn't guessed, I love american engines - it's about the only thing that is good about the cars they build over there.

Cheers

Comment

Ian

A bit of V8 conversion info for you.

http://www.engineconversions.co.uk/fitting_v8.html

http://www.marks4wd.com/hilux-index.html
          Last edited by andy; 28 January 2004, 10:37.

Comment

Working...
          X