• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roof rails on a 4runner

Hello all, I am a plasterer and drive a 95 3.0 TD 4Runner GX
    I am after advice on fitting a full lenth roof rack to my vehicle,
    I need to be able to carry plasterboards, ladders, timber etc
    I had a good chat with HILUX bob and he advised me to post a request for anyone with info on fitting a full length roof rack.
    Im 50/50 about drilling my roof to fit rails, if anyone has done this before I may be tempted to take the plunge. I plan on keeping my beast till one of us dies so drilling the roof wouldnt be too much of a problem as i would use a roof rack a lot.

I have seen rubber cup type mounted rear bars and would be interested to hear from anyone who has these things fitted

Thanks

Hi Jazzer.

A mate of mine custom makes roof racks up here in Blackburn for damn near any vehicle, I can ask him 4 U for a fit or supply only cost if your interested m8, an it will be built to whatever you spec.

Fish.
    If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

Originally posted by jazzer
      Hello all, I am a plasterer and drive a 95 3.0 TD 4Runner GX
      I am after advice on fitting a full lenth roof rack to my vehicle,
      I need to be able to carry plasterboards, ladders, timber etc
      I had a good chat with HILUX bob and he advised me to post a request for anyone with info on fitting a full length roof rack.
      Im 50/50 about drilling my roof to fit rails, if anyone has done this before I may be tempted to take the plunge. I plan on keeping my beast till one of us dies so drilling the roof wouldnt be too much of a problem as i would use a roof rack a lot.

I have seen rubber cup type mounted rear bars and would be interested to hear from anyone who has these things fitted

Thanks
      Jazzer.

If you don't have a sunroof then it's a piece of p**s. You can get roof rails to fit from www.4x4accessoriesandtyres.com which are 1.5M in length as standard but can be cut with a pipe cutter easily and fitted to suit. I have these on mine but because I have a sunroof then they are not full length on mine.

You can also get some from here in the US

http://www.autoanything.com/roofracks/

shipping is around $75 and with the dollar like it is that makes it quite cheap. Again measure up and chose your length.

Both of these fit from above and use capture nuts fitted into the roof from above.

I have to replace my Sunroof when the weather gets better and while I have the headlining down I will be making mine full length when I can see better where I can fit the bolts.

Just remember, measure twice, drill or cut once and you will be OK. Plus they look great.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the replys, id like to hear what this custom roofrack maker can come up with if possible, if not then i would go for the roof rails.
        I have a sunroof, I see the american rails are fitted without removing the headliner. A job id rather not try and do

Comment

Thanks for the replys, id like to hear what this custom roofrack maker can come up with if possible, if not then i would go for the roof rails.
          I have a sunroof, I see the american rails are fitted without removing the headliner. A job id rather not try and do

Absolutely easy as cake. As long as you measure properly. You need to fit them as close to the inside edge of the groove that runs the length of the roof. It took me about an hour to fit both sides in the pouring rain as well.

That was for the ones from 4x4 accessories and tyres. The US ones should fit the same. Geoff (Rubblebags) has them as well.

Cheers

Comment

do you have any pics

Do you think you could post any pics for me to look at..
            Thanks mate

Comment

Do you think you could post any pics for me to look at..
              Thanks mate
              here's one that ain't too great but you should get the idea.

Cheers
              Attached Files

Comment

they look very good

they look very good indeed, I will post the pics of mine when i have bought and installed them, I hope to be able to fit them the full length of my vehicle, thanks for your help

Comment

roof racks

Does anyone know what the carrying capacity for the surf roof is? I have a sunroof, wanted to install a rooftop tent but the total weight of the rooftop tent with me and the mrs in it is about 440 pounds (200kg). Could someone get back to me if they have any idea of how much weight i can put on the roof using rhino rails?

Much appreciated, i can't find any details anywhere and i cant get any guarantees for the tent manufacturers.

Pilgrim

Comment

Roof Rails

Hi,
                    I am looking to put roof rails on my surf with sun roof but I would have them full lengh and I to would like to know the capacity not that I want to live on top of my surf but I am looking at carrying tools on A special light weight but very strong roof rack.
                    Question to lucky could you tell me where you got your roof rails from a web address or phone numbers so i can get costings, as my misses is geting a little tetchy re how much money I am put into my surf.
                    She doesn't understand you see as she drives a new frontera well someone has to.
                    Back to the point re the roof rack it was made for me by a friend we looked at making the rails but just never came out right.
                    So it is bite the bullet and pay through the nose.
                    If anyone is still awake after that if you can help I would be most grateful.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X