Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Intercooler

"A TECHNICAL QUESTION FOR THE BOFFINS"
    Please can any one help? I am trying to find out why people want to covert to the INTERCOOLER, and what is the difference between the standard Turbo that the " 2nd & 'turd' gen " come out with to the " Intercooler". I have also herad of the 2 Turbo Direct Injector " { TDi } as in the "Landrover " what is the difference to the other ones above and which would you say is the best and for what reasons?
    Thanks
    You can tell I'm bored to day

where to start, where to start.....i know....

VINCE!
    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by shumba

Please can any one help? I am trying to find out why people want to covert to the INTERCOOLER, and what is the difference between the standard Turbo that the " 2nd & 'turd' gen " come out with to the " Intercooler". I have also herad of the 2 Turbo Direct Injector " { TDi } as in the "Landrover " what is the difference to the other ones above and which would you say is the best and for what reasons?
      Thanks
      Theyre all jealous of me probably Its called keeping up with the JONES'S
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
        where to start, where to start.....i know....

VINCE!

The search button works too you know!

Comment

yeah, but it's good to talk...apparently.
          i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

[QUOTE=shumba
            I am trying to find out why people want to covert to the INTERCOOLER,

I have also herad of the 2 Turbo Direct Injector " { TDi } as in the "Landrover " [/QUOTE]

Hello,

Look at these tech specs for engine outputs.
            http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/24lt.htm
            http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/30lt.htm
            You can expect a noticable increase in power when fitting an intercooler to either engine.

They are fitted after the turbo has pressurised the incoming air (squeezing the air warms it up) to cool the air before it goes into the pistons. Cooler air = denser air = bigger bang in cylinder.

They are low tech, easy to fit and reliable, that's why they are fitted.

Oh, TDi was marketing rubbish - diesels are direct injection.

EDIT - Oh bugg*r, just read Tonys answer, what do I know eh LOL I need
            Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 26 October 2006, 11:40.
            Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by shumba

Thanks
              Diesels can be direct injection or indirect injection.

Direct injection has the injector squirting directly into the cylinder, Indirect injection sqirts into a 'swirl pot' or precombustion chamber which starts the bang, then it rushes into the cylinders.

Indierct injection diesel tend to be quieter and less 'aggressive' on pistons, bores and bearings so motors are easier (cheaper) to build.

Direct injection generally give better mpg and don't need glowplugs, but are noiser and harder on the rest of the engine so more expensive to build as they need to be stronger.

All Surfs up the 4th gens are indirect (don't know what motor is in the latest 4 gen trucks)
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                All Surfs up the 4th gens are indirect (don't know what motor is in the latest 4 gen trucks)

Petrol?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  Diesels can be direct injection or indirect injection.

Direct injection has the injector squirting directly into the cylinder, Indirect injection sqirts into a 'swirl pot' or precombustion chamber which starts the bang, then it rushes into the cylinders.

Indierct injection diesel tend to be quieter and less 'aggressive' on pistons, bores and bearings so motors are easier (cheaper) to build.

Direct injection generally give better mpg and don't need glowplugs, but are noiser and harder on the rest of the engine so more expensive to build as they need to be stronger.

Thanks Tonyn I did wonder why the nissan nivara I drove a couple of weeks back was so mutch noisier than the good old SURF

Comment

Working...
                  X