KMs to Miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KMs to Miles

At the risk of being the one to ask a stupid question.....

Can someone please explain to me.. I know the Surf's speedo is converted to MPH so we all know what speed we are doing, but what about the rolling distance numbers? Now, is that kilometers or miles?

I'm looking for another Surf, only had mine two months before it got written off this week. It had 92000 thingys displayed, so I want to know when the Insurance company starts negoiating what my actual mileage was. The MOT certificate says 89000 miles, but then that could have been kilometers.

I'm also looking at a Surf advertised with 54000 miles, but I haven't asked yet whether that is actual displayed or converted figures.

Please help

It depends how the conversion was done.

Most Surf's just get a replacement speedo face. This then indicates the speed in MPH, but the odometer will still count up in KM's.

Others get a small electronic chip fitted in the speed sensor wire. This alters the frequency of the speed pulses, so the speedo reads in MPH, even if the speedo has a label saying KM/H.

If your truck had the latter, then the 'mileage' up until the adaptor was fitted will be km's, but after that point would have recorded in miles..

Confused???
    It just does, OK?

Comment

It could be either. To make sure, take it for a drive over a known distance. If you do a 10 mile run and odo clicks up 16 then your odo is in km. To convert the total odo reading to miles multiply it by 5 and divide the answer by 8. 92000km will be 57500miles.

Bogus
      Сви можемо

Comment

all i do is take the reading in km's and multiply that by 0.6214
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
          all i do is take the reading in km's and multiply that by 0.6214
          and youd be right because thats pretty much what 5 divided by 8 is. However I always say multiply by 5 then divide by 8 because most people can do that in their head in a flash. Multiplying a number by 0.6214 in yer head is harder for most of us, however if accuracy is not an issue and a rough count is all you want I suppose you could always just multiply by 0.6 which again most can do in their head.

Bogus
          Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus
            and youd be right because thats pretty much what 5 divided by 8 is. However I always say multiply by 5 then divide by 8 because most people can do that in their head in a flash. Multiplying a number by 0.6214 in yer head is harder for most of us, however if accuracy is not an issue and a rough count is all you want I suppose you could always just multiply by 0.6 which again most can do in their head.

Bogus
            i need a calculator either way

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
              i need a calculator either way

I thought Cornish folk had extra fingers and toes!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                ssssssssshhhhhhhh dont tell everyone

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  Many many years ago I worked in a dry dock in Penzance and I noticed that too. Problem is however they are webbed which doesnt aid in the counting process.

Bogus
                  Сви можемо

Comment

One advantage of having the odometer in KM’s is that you think you are getting more miles to the gallon……..

Had my Surf 2 weeks and just doing a few fills before I report back what my fuel consumption is…. But it is not great! 3 litre, V6 Auto PETROL
                    Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus

Bogus
                      For a totally rough calc I just divide by 1.5 to get an idea how much milage it would be.

Comment

Working...
                      X