No announcement yet.

oily looking rear brake drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok guys now I’m really in the $$$$ should have stuck to the if it isn’t broke don’t fix it dictum. Went to collect the beast and its still in bits.

Well it seems that although both bearings have the same number on the outer case they are different and so are the seals. One has a female chamfered face on it that sits on a male machined edge on the axle. The other is a conventional bearing with both sides flat.
    The guys there are flummoxed and are trying to find out why the two should be different.
    It looks to me like the two axles are different (one looks new) and I am going to get the numbers off them tomorrow. I will take my camera along and take some pictures because for sure some of you will know.
    Any ideas please?

Comment

Originally posted by marky
      GUESS WHAT mines failed the MOT due to rear brakes failing. Ive just discovered the problem stems from rear axle seal BUGGA
      Sorry to hear that ,I have no clue how mine made it through the MOT as the rear brake shoes are saturated.

Comment

Originally posted by namira
        Ok guys now I’m really in the $$$$ should have stuck to the if it isn’t broke don’t fix it dictum. Went to collect the beast and its still in bits.

Well it seems that although both bearings have the same number on the outer case they are different and so are the seals. One has a female chamfered face on it that sits on a male machined edge on the axle. The other is a conventional bearing with both sides flat.
        The guys there are flummoxed and are trying to find out why the two should be different.
        It looks to me like the two axles are different (one looks new) and I am going to get the numbers off them tomorrow. I will take my camera along and take some pictures because for sure some of you will know.
        Any ideas please?
        Never put different bearings in for each side before, Toyota list the same part number for either side, and the seals, in fact they are the same as any Toyota 8" rear axle, all Surfs, 4Runners, Pickups, etc.

Odd.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I think this thread is getting like the 2.4 Heads cracked Thread
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            Never put different bearings in for each side before, Toyota list the same part number for either side, and the seals, in fact they are the same as any Toyota 8" rear axle, all Surfs, 4Runners, Pickups, etc.

Odd.
            I found a bearing on the Roughtrax site on Saturday http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php...d=452&vid=1013 this looks like it although I’m not absolutely sure, I did not go and photograph the shaft and bearing as the guy at Nene said it was the one when I sent him the link saturday.
            Roughtrax rang Nene for me on Monday and told them they need the seals and collars to go with the new bearing that they had ordered so although I haven’t heard anything yet fingers crossed it will it be ok. Thanks Roughtrax.
            The number on the strange shaft is 2/58670 with an f or r after it.
            It’s a mystery as I thought it might be a shaft from a pickup or something else but if they are all the same wtf is it?
            I will go over tomorrow to see what’s happening to my lovely truck. I will defiantly take the camera and post a pic if it’s still in bits.
            Any ideas anyone?
            Paul

edit

Well I’m £875 poorer but it is sorted and it would seem that it was a pickup shaft that was fitted hence the drama with the strange bearing???. Perhaps it wasn’t such a good idea to have the bearings changed after all,
            As always thanks everyone.
            Last edited by namira; 18 October 2006, 18:02.

Comment

Working...
            X