auto change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto change

My three ltr auto runs fine but seems to be reluctant to change into top gear. now it might be me as i have never had an auto before. i have to get it to about 2750-3000 rpm to get it to change or if i sustain 2500 for about 30 seconds it changes. Any coments will be welcome.

Are you sure it's top gear your are looking for and not the torque converter locking up which takes place at about 53 mph.
    Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Is the (O/D) overdrive button pushed in on the side of the shift lever?

Comment

after experimenting i think i am getting top gear because if i knock overdrive off and run to about 50 mph when i switch overdrive back on it immediatly drops in to another higher gear. Then later drops into another higher "gear " at about 55-60 mph. is this the torque converter locking up. By the way what the hell is the torque converter and what does it do??????????

Comment

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter2.htm

Comment

Originally posted by baldyman
            My three ltr auto runs fine but seems to be reluctant to change into top gear. now it might be me as i have never had an auto before. i have to get it to about 2750-3000 rpm to get it to change or if i sustain 2500 for about 30 seconds it changes. Any coments will be welcome.
            Not sure how long you have your Surf so excuse the question if it appears very basic.

Do you have the ECT switch (at the front of gear levers) switched to normal running? If it's set to 'power' the gear changes take place at higher revs.
            Brian

Comment

Thanks Vince for that info. by the way do all hilux surfs have torque converters, and would you get the same torque lock if you ran with overdrive off. If i have read correctly you should.?????????

Comment

Working...
              X