Auto box blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto box blues

I’m having a problem with the auto box on my 91 surf, when you decelerate to a halt the box doesn’t select first so your coming up to a junction you brake, stop, see a gap, foot down, nothing, engine revs and you roll out of the junction then the gearbox wakes up gets first, tyres squeal, whiplash and off you go with the guy you just pulled out in front of giving you the finger. It seems to be worst when the engine is cold but does it intermittently when warm. I’m hoping it’s something simple but I doubt it is.
    Also suffering a case of sods law as this fault only started the day I put a “for sale” sign in its window!

Check the transmision fluid, Level (with engine running) and colour (should be blood red)
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 9 September 2006, 00:30.

Comment

Originally posted by jonboy
      I’m having a problem with the auto box on my 91 surf, when you decelerate to a halt the box doesn’t select first so your coming up to a junction you brake, stop, see a gap, foot down, nothing, engine revs and you roll out of the junction then the gearbox wakes up gets first, tyres squeal, whiplash and off you go with the guy you just pulled out in front of giving you the finger. It seems to be worst when the engine is cold but does it intermittently when warm. I’m hoping it’s something simple but I doubt it is.
      Also suffering a case of sods law as this fault only started the day I put a “for sale” sign in its window!
      Had the same with a BMW, it was the gearbox oil level, but that didnt have a level guage had to go into the dealers, but it got sorted.
      Side mounts are the new top mounts !

Comment

Almost definately Auto fluid level...
        It just does, OK?

Comment

mine did something very similar a while ago was ok when cold though and warmer it got the worse it was.. lost 1st gear entirely on a hot day and a long run. i drained my fluid totally and refilled with new and added a lucas auto shift fix off e bay for £23. was the best money i ever forked out on my surf!! now its got loads of grunt on all gears and its definately smoothed out the harsh gear changes i had before. not everyone agrees with additives as they can `mask` a problem.. like if your oil smells burnt and is dark brown you could have slipping clutches in the box that nothing will fix. good luck. funny how these things happen as soon as a for sale sign goes up in the window!!! sometimes bad gear selection is caused by the solenoids / valves sticking in the valve chest under the sump and a good flush can sort it out . ive heard of some garages that connect a machine up to the auto box and kind of collonic irrigation it out.lol
          Last edited by WARRIOR72; 8 September 2006, 21:54.
          DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, only question now is do you check it hot or cold?

Comment

You can do either. With a hot engine/transmission the level should be within the hot section of the dipstick and vice versa for a cold engine/transmission. Check the level with the engine running in both cases.

Comment

remembered the dipstick had two levels after I put that last post up , thanks guys I'll let you know the verdict.

Comment

Working...
                X