rear towing point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear towing point

hi all, daft question probably, but where,s the rear tow point, only had a quick look so far and found nothing as obvious as the front tow hook, just in case i have to do a disco owner (my uncle) a favour

cheers ship

As far as I recall theres a towing eye hanging to the right of the underslung spare and maybe another to the left. Its not ideal coz it isnt lower than your rear bumper so your rope could will 'lean' on your nice chrome corners and rear bumper. Not for me, I unhooked and put my towrope onto the tow bar and took me chances, although it aint recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
      As far as I recall theres a towing eye hanging to the right of the underslung spare and maybe another to the left. Its not ideal coz it isnt lower than your rear bumper so your rope could will 'lean' on your nice chrome corners and rear bumper. Not for me, I unhooked and put my towrope onto the tow bar and took me chances, although it aint recommended.
      Not really sure these are towing eyes as apposed to tie down points for transportation purposes and as Jim says are above the rear bumper so useless for towing anyway.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

so not such a daft question after all, i seen the two places you mentioned u/neath and thought the same, i like my bumpers just the way they are.
        so why did toyota fit a big obvious hook on the front and nothing at the back? and i ain,t got a tow bar so it looks any ideas would be welcome.

cheers guys ship

Comment

Originally posted by ship
          so not such a daft question after all, i seen the two places you mentioned u/neath and thought the same, i like my bumpers just the way they are.
          so why did toyota fit a big obvious hook on the front and nothing at the back? and i ain,t got a tow bar so it looks any ideas would be welcome.

cheers guys ship
          Because when the Landy in front of you gets stuck you can pull him out backwards

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

cheers guys ship
            May be becuase ther was an option for a front mounted winch on the Surf and the hook gives you something to connect the cable back onto if you are using a tree strap and an eye as a multiplier. Toyota are very good at fitting everything that is possibly needed apart from the option itself - like the wiring loom is wired out for everything that can possibly be fitted.

I agree that the front hook is a lot more chunky than the normal tie down eye fitted to most cars so it must have been there as a towing hook of some kind. I suppose in the end that it is very rare on road (impossible in fact) to do a flat tow rear end first.

Cheers

Comment

well assuming there are a few of you off-roading and you come to some tricky stuff, the one in the front will be the first to get stuck, no tow eye at the back, all his mates behind with chunky tow hooks on the front

I need to modify something so i can put a hook on the back.

can you tell iv,e got t/morrow off

ship

ps: egr mod, how to, anyone got a link?? cheers

Comment

well assuming there are a few of you off-roading and you come to some tricky stuff, the one in the front will be the first to get stuck, no tow eye at the back, all his mates behind with chunky tow hooks on the front

I need to modify something so i can put a hook on the back.

can you tell iv,e got t/morrow off

ship

ps: egr mod, how to, anyone got a link?? cheers
                Take off pipe to EGR as in pics and block it off, I just folded it in half and used an electrical tie as in the pics. Or use a bolt, ball bearing or anything to block the pipe
                Attached Files

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

cheers koi, i,m on it t/morrow

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                    Take off pipe to EGR as in pics and block it off, I just folded it in half and used an electrical tie as in the pics. Or use a bolt, ball bearing or anything to block the pipe

Can you tell me what he pro's and cons of doing this mod are , I remember someone posting something about it needed to be on to satisfy the emissions , but off gave you more power ? ? ?

Is that correct ??

Thanks,
                    http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by SparX
                      Can you tell me what he pro's and cons of doing this mod are , I remember someone posting something about it needed to be on to satisfy the emissions , but off gave you more power ? ? ?

Is that correct ??

Thanks,
                      The downside with regard to emmisions is increased Nox levels, however AFAIK the MOT does not check for Nox
                      Maurice
                      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
                        The downside with regard to emmisions is increased Nox levels, however AFAIK the MOT does not check for Nox
                        cheers Mate ,

Can you tell me how you did your blue dials ?

Scanning and recolouring I am fine with , and I have a decent Photo printer or I can use a Colour Laser , but what is the stuff ou printed them onto ?Folitec Backlight Film?

do i need a special ink / printer ?

thanks matey , sorry about the thread hijack !

Cheers
                        http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

Comment

well just been out and pulled the pipe off to find that there was about the same amount of pipe on the other side of the little plastic filter type thing, been cut by looks of it, do i have to find the other end to make sure its blocked off??

cheers ship

Comment

well just been out and pulled the pipe off to find that there was about the same amount of pipe on the other side of the little plastic filter type thing, been cut by looks of it, do i have to find the other end to make sure its blocked off??

cheers ship
                            Ship.

You do need to find that if it looks like it has been cut. If it is cut then you will lose some power as it will be venting to the air.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                              Ship.

You do need to find that if it looks like it has been cut. If it is cut then you will lose some power as it will be venting to the air.

Cheers

thanks Andy, i,ve had a look from above but can,t seem to find it, so i figure, start at the begining and work my up, only i don,t know where the begining is
                              i,m hoping that as it was imported in 2001, the prev. owner may have already done this mod,

cheers ship

Comment

Working...
                              X