X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminium radiators

Hi

What is the general opinion ?

are they any better than traditional brass etc rads?

After having mine repaired/modified/repaired /etc..etc Its sprung another leak!
    This time from the rad cap flange (which was soldered on to a new top tank)
    Losing all faith in Sercks locally, the rads been out more times than the england cricket team! 4 times in the last 18 months!!!

Once again It's got leak filler putty on It to make it look pretty!

Cheers

Neil
    www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Hi neil, I've repaired mine by removing the black paint and cleaning the area where the splits are with wire wool and soldering them with a blowlamp,flux and solder. Has lasted nearly two years now.

I like the idea of an aluminium rad though, race cars use then so they must work well.

Comment

Vince

I think i'm going down the route of blowlamp and silver solder although i'm sh*te at soldering! made even more difficult as the flange has the expansion pipe coming out where the leak is! Not much space.

I'm looking at having a Ally rad made as i tow a lot and the temp gauge still moves on long uphill inclines (even with 4core rad and 2 transmission coolers) I am towing 1650kgs though!

Speaking to the guys at Sercks soon to see what they reckon on ally rads!

Cheers

Neil

Comment

A few years ago I was thinking about having an ali rad made and I spoke to AlliSport ( www.allisport.com ). They said they could make one but would need the vehicle as a pattern - might be worth a try to see if they have made a Surf one in the meantime. Can't remember what they quoted as a price I'm afraid.
        Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Hi Roger

Strangely enough I contacted them (allisport) by e-mail yesterday, if I dont get a reply soon I'll phone them!

Cheers

Neil

Comment

has bundubasher not got a 5core radiator instead of the 3 core one and it might be AL but I am not sure.
            Otherwise if its bigger than the standard cools better and looks cool I would buy one too!!!!!
            But I have a v6 is there any difference between mine and yours?

Comment

Originally posted by truckarms
              has bundubasher not got a 5core radiator instead of the 3 core one and it might be AL but I am not sure.
              Otherwise if its bigger than the standard cools better and looks cool I would buy one too!!!!!
              But I have a v6 is there any difference between mine and yours?

Not sure of the differences, but mine is an auto so It has the oil cooler in the bottom tank, however I would get shot of this and if necessary have a seperate oil to water cooler (demon tweeks do them) but as i have 2 air to oil coolers as well i may not need it!

think Bundbasher had a brass/copper type and I think(could be wrong) that he had to modify or get rid of the viscous fan to slot the rad in!

I'm hoping to build an ali one to max dimensions available using existing ancilleries,Allisport have come back to me and need either a good drawing or one for a pattern.

So may need a gash rad for pattern use!

Neil

Comment

Hi Niel,
                Did you get anywhere with you Alli Rad?
                and if so is it any better?

Comment

AC Delco do "aluminum" rads in the US - brass apparently can't shift enough heat in the desert.

Don't know if they ship to the UK though.

Comment

Working...
                  X