Diff oil leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff oil leak?

Can somebody shed some light on this - so i know which bits to start pulling apart first!

I have oil alround the rear off-side wheel arch, which seems to be leaking from within the wheel itself?

the break fluid level is fine, and it's not the shock. So is it the diff oil seal? Is that where the oil normally leaks from??

I've read similar threads about how to replace it, but a diagram would be helpful if someone has one, and any other guidance as I haven't played around with the diff before, so don't really know where to start trouble shooting

TIA guys!
    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Originally posted by Big Jonah
    Can somebody shed some light on this - so i know which bits to start pulling apart first!

I have oil alround the rear off-side wheel arch, which seems to be leaking from within the wheel itself?

the break fluid level is fine, and it's not the shock. So is it the diff oil seal? Is that where the oil normally leaks from??

I've read similar threads about how to replace it, but a diagram would be helpful if someone has one, and any other guidance as I haven't played around with the diff before, so don't really know where to start trouble shooting

TIA guys!
    cant find a drawing at the mo, but you need to remove the wheel first.
    Then you will need to undo the brake pipe from the cylinder. Then remove the drum to reveal the brakes and undo the hand brake cable. Then there are four nuts that hold on the brake drum back plate,undo these then the drum and half shaft will pull out. Once removed you will see the oil seal set inside the end of the axle!! you can get replacments from milners...

hope this helps...
    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Its usually a shot bearing that ruins the seal, give the halfshaft a tug in and out and if theres is more than a small amount of play in it replace the rear wheel bearing.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks guys! Somewhere to start looking tomorrow then!

It may well be the bearing as there is a new clunk every now and again. I origianlly put that down to the suspension bottoming out, as the end is v saggy at the mo.

How hard are the bearings to change? Is it something worth doing regardless once the half shaft is out?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jonah
          Thanks guys! Somewhere to start looking tomorrow then!

It may well be the bearing as there is a new clunk every now and again. I origianlly put that down to the suspension bottoming out, as the end is v saggy at the mo.

How hard are the bearings to change? Is it something worth doing regardless once the half shaft is out?
          like tony says chang it if there is any more than a very small amount of movment!!

they can be a bit fiddly to do, i had to cut mine out as many others have done.. its better if you know sombody with a press.

Comment

Originally posted by slim
            its better if you know sombody with a press.
            Like me!

and Jonah only lives down the road.......

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              Like me!

and Jonah only lives down the road.......
              didnt notice the geographical location ( gulp must of swallowed a dictionary)

there you go jonah ya sorted!!!

Comment

It is the bearing - Tonnnnnyyyyyy heeeelllllppppppp!!!!!!!!

thanks guys, got the half shaft out real easy! Supprised myself at just how easy it was! what I found wasn't so good though!

A little bit of movement?!

Blooming thing was like an old atari joystick!!

Someone please tell me all the little brass flakes in the remaining oil is just off of the bearing and not something else!!

Tony - is the offer of the press still there? Could I bring the half shaft around next week or weekend would you be able to fit the new bearing on for me?

Comment

@ Tony....

Bump

Comment

Yeah, just come round and we'll sort it out.

Comment

Big thanks to TonyN!

Thanks Tony!

Which night would be best for you?

Comment

For TonyN...

Tony,

got all the bits through from Milners yesterday. Would Saturday morning be ok to bring the half shaft around?

Comment

Working...
                        X