drive problems (transfer box?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drive problems (transfer box?)

I have a 1989 2.4 manual, I have recently changed the u/js on the main prop because of bad vibration, now the drive seems to have packed up if i go to set off the drive locks I can reverse about a foot then the drive locks again stalling the engine , i can force it passed this point by over reving and forcing the surf passed these points but it can not be doing it any good any suggestions? Can I disconect the transfer box and use the rear wheels only?
    any help greatfully received.
    Chris
    Regards
    Chris

The transfer box can't be bypassed as the drive to the rear axle goes through it as well. It's not really doing much while you're in 2wd anyway. On the basis of suspecting the bits you've just fiddled with I think it would be worth dropping the prop shaft again and making sure that the uj's move freely in all directions. It sounds like one might be binding.
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Sounds like transmission wind up as you say you had noise and vibration before. Have you been using 4wd on tarmac/hard surfaces?

Comment

No use of 4wd since i changed the uj, but i have covered over 400 miles with no problems since changing the uj
        Regards
        Chris

Comment

I would drop the prop off and check the free wheeling of rear wheels . Either a rear brake shoe is locking on or worst the diff has broke .
          I dought transmission wind up or transfer box .

My opinion only .
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
          X