Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me? a baseball cap wearing lout?
    Oh no matron! More of a trilby me.
    The pipes don't bang at all. What hey did was to bolt on some strong rubber mounts with a single hole through and made the hanger to fit it exactly. There is not enough vertical movement to allow the pipes to catch.
    The tyres were on it when I purchased it. I do like to go offroading with the crew of the 4x4 funday website www.4x4funday.co.uk
    I tend to go to the wildmoor site as I don't like the idea of the other stone quarries that they frequent scratching the heck out of the old girl.
    Sand ain't that good either, but I tend to steer clear of the mud pools and go climbing instead. The duellers make enough road noise anyhow :-)
    When they are gone, I dare say I'll replace them with similar as I do a lot of road miles and need the longevity.
    I don't expect the Surf to set the tyres on fire with the performance upgrades, but bearing in mind I used to have a 4.7L Jeep I do like a bit of get up and go.
    This is my second 3rd gen surf and I missed the old one so badly I just had to get this one. Then I found out just how underpowered it seemed in relation to the Jeep... then I got talking to ChippedUK... then.... well, you know the rest :-)
    I have to say, I like your choice of exhaust outlet. I bet your survival rate with the rear window down in motion exceeds mine!!

Comment

so any up dates yet

Comment

Hi rally Man,

Sadly no.
        It would seem that ChippedUK have lost interest in the project.
        I did praise them up and did tell them that I was posting the information here.
        That has had no effect.
        THey did some work on the fuel pump and a gateway valve, and yes, the torque has improved very noticeably.
        They said that the tuning module that they were going to get would make heaps of difference, but countless telephone calls from me to them all yield the same results. It hasn't arrived.
        It's been months now and they told me it would only be a week, two at most.

I firmly believe that they have lost intrest now and I am going to have to give them up as a bad job.

So, guys, forget ChippedUK. Seems like they won't be able to deliver after all.
        I have no rolling road figuires as previously promised either as it never happened.

They never EVER return my calls. And they don't respond to emails either.

Comment

afternnon all

sorry to be so late in picking up on this thread but just been flicking through and old copy of 4X4 magazine and there's an article on a hilux being "chipped up" by a firm called TUNIT.

All sounds very easy, install a secondary black box, bit of rolling road and 20% increase in power & up to 33% increase in torque. All for less than £500 inc VAT.

is this too good to be true, anyone got any experience of them. I rang fr a quote on my 3rd gen and was told "yep - we do loads of these, module is a V-VP, takes about 90 mins to wire in and 30 mins on rolling road, or you can just have the module, fitted for £349"

anyone any idea

hawaii
          I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

Just looking at the Tunit site,

2.4tdi
            BHP
            Before After
            100 125

Torque
            Before After
            177 210

3.0tdi
            BHP
            Before After
            133 160

Torque
            Before After
            213 267

So, Some fairly good figures, a Chipped 2.4 would be only slightly less powerful then a stock 3.0ltr.

Comment

Thats a big hike in torque, and I'd suggest it's done by peaking the torque curve. I'd love to see some graphs if possible.

More power requires more fuel which leads to poorer economy and more heat which needs dissipating by an already not ideal cooling system.

Not sure peaky torque and power curves would be ideal for offroading either.

I'd say 'Max Power fodder', but I'm happy to be proved wrong.
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                Thats a big hike in torque, and I'd suggest it's done by peaking the torque curve. I'd love to see some graphs if possible.

More power requires more fuel which leads to poorer economy and more heat which needs dissipating by an already not ideal cooling system.

Not sure peaky torque and power curves would be ideal for offroading either.

I'd say 'Max Power fodder', but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Looking at it, Its tempting - The promise of more power etc etc. But its £479.

I'd rather have that sat in my wallet then on something like that.

So, At least in my case i wont be the one to prove you wrong or right mate!

Cuz i probably wont be bothering!

Comment

Working...
                X