My spring is sprung

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My spring is sprung

As i was standing in my drive enjoying my after dinner fag I noticed that my beloved surf is listing to one side at the rear. There's about an inch difference in the clearance between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch, the off-side is lower. I assume (cos I couldn't get a decent look) that it's probably the suspension spring on that side thats either bust/cracked or just weakened. Assuming this is the case(and if anyone has other suggestions as to what might be the cause, do tell) there are three, no four options available....
    1:Ignore it(has certain merits)
    2:replace with a pair of second hand ones(I'd rather do step 1.....)
    3:Replace with OEM pair(expensive and boring)
    4:Replace with superior(they come with a free sticker for the back of the truck) aftermarket items

If I go for 4 are there any particular ones that peeps here would recommend and can I get away with just doing the rears or should I replace all four springs?

Oh yeah and it would help if I can get hold of em in NZ as buying from abroad means i get stung for all kinds of import surcharges and gst and duty etc etc etc
    Life is not a dress rehearsal
    1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed
    (Auto's are for the indecisive!!)

Originally posted by Pete The Tart
    As i was standing in my drive enjoying my after dinner fag I noticed that my beloved surf is listing to one side at the rear. There's about an inch difference in the clearance between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch, the off-side is lower. I assume (cos I couldn't get a decent look) that it's probably the suspension spring on that side thats either bust/cracked or just weakened. Assuming this is the case(and if anyone has other suggestions as to what might be the cause, do tell) there are three, no four options available....
    1:Ignore it(has certain merits)
    2:replace with a pair of second hand ones(I'd rather do step 1.....)
    3:Replace with OEM pair(expensive and boring)
    4:Replace with superior(they come with a free sticker for the back of the truck) aftermarket items

If I go for 4 are there any particular ones that peeps here would recommend and can I get away with just doing the rears or should I replace all four springs?

Oh yeah and it would help if I can get hold of em in NZ as buying from abroad means i get stung for all kinds of import surcharges and gst and duty etc etc etc
    I'd recommend that you do number 4 and use Old Man Emu ones from Aus as you should be able to get them in NZ.

Get +2" ones and OME shocks while you are at it. Then crank up the front torsion bars and you got a lift and new better springs plus the adjustables will be gone.

Alternatively just get some OME uprated standard length ones and keep the current shocks.

Cheers

Comment

Adjustable suspension

Just tacking on to this post...
      Will changing those rear springs and shocks affect the hard/soft suspension switch in the surf? Will it cease to work??
      Just out of curiosity....
      2 Tone Mud Master!
      http://www.sunsetsurf.co.uk

Comment

Changing the shocks for aftermarket would affect the ability to flip the switch from hard to normal as it's the damping action of the shocks that your adjusting by flipping THAT switch. Wether or not you can get aftermarket electronically adjustable shocks is a question for someone who knows the answer
        Life is not a dress rehearsal
        1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed
        (Auto's are for the indecisive!!)

Comment

and if anyone has other suggestions as to what might be the cause, do tell

Probably had some Sumo wrestler driving it in Japan , and it's buggered the springs .

Last edited by andy; 7 January 2004, 12:01.

Comment

Originally posted by andy

Probably had some Sumo wrestler driving it in Japan , and it's buggered the springs .

Only other thing I can think of is that the Spring mounts are broken.

With regard to the hard / soft suspension setting - it ain't really worth having anyway compared to a decent set of shocks, then you can get rid of the switch and put something usefull in it.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by andy

Is someone talking about ME
              Last edited by sumo; 17 August 2007, 08:13.
              If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

I'm probably being a bit dim here. Is it a must to get rid of the adjustable shocks when fitting the uprated springs and is it because the existing shocks aren't long enough for the for the uprated springs? The reason I ask is because my hard/soft button actually makes a difference. Maybe because my springs are shot.
                I was looking at some compressed air suspension dampers that fit inside the coil springs. As well as stiffening the suspension they lift it by 2" when up to the full 60psi. About $200 (American site) for the system, with the control switches/solenoids, but without the compressor.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                X