yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrically adjustable shock absorbers... or not. (92 2.4TD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrically adjustable shock absorbers... or not. (92 2.4TD)

I've decided. My surf is too damned stiff.
    I'm convinced that pressing the hard/normal ride switch does nothing to the ride. It seems to me to be permanently on hard.
    Well my backside (and fillings) are suffering.
    Firstly, I thought I should check the electrical side o things, but can find no trace of the circuit in either of the Hilux books I have (I mean, could it be a fuse?, is there a circuit diagram on the www??). I'm prepared to go look for some voltages on the motors? that control the shock absorbers, but a bit more info would be useful. I guess my parts look something like this:-
    <www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37 06&d=1079881589>
    [sorry dunno how to post in the actual picture]
    Is there any noise associated with operating the switch on the shockeys. Should I hear something run, at least momentarily?. All I get is a dash light.
    How do the shockeys fail?. Is it the electrical part? (by the way, my electric door mirrors don't work. is that related?).
    And finally, just to end the tirade of questions, what sort of non adjustable shock absorbers do you get from the Matlock people. Hard or normal. I don't want Hard!.

Cheers... Rob.
    Red to Red, Black to Black, Blue to bits!

First of all, check that your tyre pressures aren't too high.
    The standard Toyota shocks have small solenoids on the top of them that you can't actually see unless you are a contorsionist. If you're the first UK owner, then the shocks probably want replacing anyway. The toyota shocks are mega bucks so most people fit after market ones such as Explorer Procomp ES3000 or ES9000. They're only £35 each, the ES9000 being the firmer of the two.

http://www.explorerprocomp.co.uk/aca...ksDampers.html

p.s. check the fuse marked ECU/IGN in the fuse panel down by the throttle pedal.

Comment

OK
      So I had a look underneath.
      I'm not the first UK owner, and guess what. It hasn't got adjustable shocks anymore.
      It has got new (blue?) springs at the back tho. I guess springs are springs on these things?
      Anyway, If I get the '3000' range shocks fitted(at the rear to start), will that be a softer ride?
      Its getting me down the jolting.
      Best bit is the company you suggest are local to me.

As to the tyre pressure. What should it be. They are big tyres.

Cheers... Rob.

Comment

Tyre pressures around 30-32psi
        If you click on the ES3000 logo in that link, it gives you a description of the shocks performance.
        Sounds like you've got 20% stiffer springs fitted if they're blue ones.

Comment

I am not suprised. The ride is tough!
          How much do standard springs cost?. Where should I get those from??
          Are thet easy to fit???
          Spose easy if you are replacing the shockeys.

Cheers... Rob.

Comment

For softer springs, you need to go to a Toyota dealer as the after market ones all seem to be uprated / stiffer, and range from £44 up to £78.per pair So I guess Toyota will be somewhere in between.

Comment

I still have the adjustable Toyota shocks on mine and the +40% springs from Milner. The ride is fine, although the only time I select the hard setting is if it is extremely windy or occasionally when towing the caravan. I would look at more accomodating shocks before ripping the springs out. The shocks themselves may be knackered and causing the suspension to oscillate.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

I think I would prefer to go back to standard if poss. I don't require upgraded performance.
                I don't know about oscillation. How can I tell. I mean I've seen those effects on the motorway, where the wheels 'bounce'. Dunno what the effect inside the car would be. I certainly get shook about inside the vehicle, and when I drob off a kerb (from parking), there is quite a violent movement from the back.
                I have the chance of some standard springs, but am not sure of exactly the model series they are from.
                Are the rear springs interchangeable between the LN130, KZN130 and KZN185?
                I believe they are between the LN130 and KZN130.

Cheers... Rob.

Comment

What do the shocks which are on already look like? Unless I missed it,
                  you only mentioned the springs.

Comment

I have a pair of standard springs of a 2.4 in the shed. THey're fine, but I uprated to stiffer becuase I sometimes carry VERY heavy stuff in the back - it did make the ride a bit harder with nothing in the back as it happens.

If you want to try them they are available, will cost you a coupla bottles of nice real beer if that sounds fair?

I'm in congleton, or will be in warrington on monday for work.
                    Last edited by Medieval Dave; 24 June 2006, 13:33. Reason: Whoops,. talking nonsense

Comment

Originally posted by Medieval Dave
                      I have a pair of standard springs of a 2.4 in the shed. THey're fine, but I uprated to stiffer becuase I sometimes carry VERY heavy stuff in the back - it did make the ride a bit harder with nothing in the back as it happens.

If you want to try them they are available, will cost you a coupla bottles of nice real beer if that sounds fair?

I'm in congleton, or will be in warrington on monday for work.
                      Hello Dave
                      I'd like to take you up if poss.
                      Wherabouts in Warrington will you be.
                      What sort of beer (sorry not good on beer, have very little sense of taste, so its more about texture for me). Tell us what you like and I can arrange that.
                      I work at Daresbury (near M56 Junct 11), but I could make most places from there at lunch (12-2).

Cheers... Rob.

Comment

Just been underneath

My current rear shocks are white.
                        Text says
                        RANCHO
                        Made in USA
                        IC2886

They are pin at the top and eye at the bottom.
                        anything known on these?

Cheers... Rob.

Comment

they're Rancho RS5000 gas shocks.

has it been lifted at all?... you mention the big tyres, so going back to normal suspension set up might not clear them!

the Pro comp ES3000s are oil filled and should give a softer ride.
                          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Tyres are 265/70/R15 Bridgestone Winter Duelers.

Springs seem to be sat in their mounting plates on the chassis and the trailing arms, with no packing.
                            I guess I would see some sort of packing if it was lifted, right?

I'm thinking that it is pretty normal, height wise.
                            I notice that the bump stops in the middle of the springs seem to have been cut off to allow more articulation.
                            I should replace these with new? I'm not going off road.

Cheers... Rob.

Comment

Those tyres are factory options, the max size before needing suspension or body lift.
                              It sounds like you have firmer/extra length springs fitted to go with the Rancho shocks.
                              So you'll be o.k. to return your truck to 'normal' suspension set-up without the need to get smaller tyres. Don't worry about the bump stops.

Comment

Working...
                              X