yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel bearings - when to adjust or when to replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel bearings - when to adjust or when to replace?

Morning all. Before I phone up and order a million quids worth of axle parts can anyone suggest when you can adjust or have to replace wheel bearings?
    I have about 1/2 inch play when pulling the top and bottom of the wheel that is coming from the bearings. I can't hear them rumbling or creaking (but I do have BFG ATs which are a bit noisy anyway).
    I was going to adjust them up (wind up then slacken back a 1/4-1/2 turn) but at what point should I replace them?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance for all your help as usual.
    Julian

Generally try just tightening the fronts first, if they go loose again them they need replacing.

If you strip them down look for marks on the bearing faces, if they are scored or discoloured they need replacing.

To set them correctly you need to do the nut up to about 43ft/lb, then spin the hub, loosen the nut then retighten to 18ft/lb. Then put a spring balance on one of the wheel lugs and check you get 3-5 kg of pressure before the hub spin round.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thank you Tony. I'll have to look you up because although Saffron Walden based I am increasingly working in Farnham.

Comment

Quick and easy way to check if the play is in the bearings - have someone put their foot on the brake hard - if the play dissappears its the bearings, if not the play is elsewhere.
        Cheers
        N
        Smith & Wesson: the first point & click interface

Comment

That's a good one I had forgotten............

Comment

Working...
          X