Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABS rear locking up

Hi Guys,
    Having a bit of trouble with my rear nearside wheel locking up, it mostly occurs at low speed on gravel. It occasionally seems to stick on too until you have gone a few yards. This doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes, with it being auto you pull away from the lights and you can feel it dragging slightly then it seems to release!!
    Also! does anyone else experience this?? When you pull up quite swiftly you get a forward rocking sensation(as if the engine and g/box rock forward, the levers move too) Then as you release the brakes it rocks back?? No metallic bangs or klonks just a thud? feels like engine mounts??
    But!! i had a toyota townace a few years ago and that did/felt EXACTLY the same so is this a TOYOTA thing?? (previously a Land Rover owner!) Incidentally it is a 3rd gen 1996 3.0 Auto.
    Any help/comments greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tim.j
    Have a break Have a kwick krap

This thread might be worthwhile checking.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23177

Comment

No load-sensing valve on 3rd gens tho. Sounds like something is sticking to me - I guess it would be best to remove the drums and clean / check everything and then re-assemble and adjust correctly.

I get the thud thing occasionally when releasing the footbrake at lights etc. Greasing the rear slip-yoke on the driveshaft has helped lessen this in the past (which reminds me, i need to do mine again).

Comment

Originally posted by zoomin
        Also! does anyone else experience this?? When you pull up quite swiftly you get a forward rocking sensation(as if the engine and g/box rock forward, the levers move too) Then as you release the brakes it rocks back??
        Any help/comments greatly appreciated.
        Thanks
        Tim.j
        This is normal to a degree, especially with a 4x4, torque stresses in braking load the axle and it trys to twist against the 4 link bars, and when stopped and the auto box is still in drive it stays wound up till you release the brakes and in effect seperate the drive shafts from the axle housing to let everything settle down.

Also slack in the drive train shows up more in RWD cars, as you'll have play in the diff, UJ's, slip joint and finally the T/case and gearbox. You'll notice it if you don't use the handbrake, and just Park on the Autobox so the car will rock backwards or forward on the lock pawl in the gearbox. This will flex the engine and gearbox mounts as well as it take the strain.

But the rear wheel sounds like a brake dragging, you may have badly adjusted rear shoes, or a wheel cylinder sticking.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for that gents, Guess who is going to be getting sunburnt under the motor at the weekend I thought when i got rid of the Land Rovers that my weekends spent repairing them rather than driving them were long gone!! Weekend checking all things brake related it is then!
          Thanks again

Tim.j

Comment

Make sure the handbrake shoe lever is sitting on its stop before you adjust the rear brakes , as this can set the brakes up wrong and hold the handbrake shoe away from its stop and this will cause rear brakes to grab .
            I had to completley reset the brakes on my Runner when I first got it as the rear grabed all over the place and the handbrake shoe was worn un even because of the wrongly adjusted shoes and handbrake .
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Cheers for that Rick, And i promise i wasn't looking at your bra!!
              Bet them shorts will see the light of day again! atleast for the next 4 weeks (hopefully).

Tim.j
              Last edited by zoomin; 9 June 2006, 21:18.

Comment

Rear Brake Shoes

I also have a 3rd gen and am having this sharp braking on the rear problem...it also failed the MOT last time as the brakes had too much variation across the back axle....they are now pulsing a little too (intermittently)

Has anyone managed to exchange the drums for the Colorado Disc set-up yet as i am fed up with replacing the shoes, cylinders and it still not sorting the problem?

Damon

Comment

Working...
                X