Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st gen. canopy

Hi Guys,
    Can anybody advise on treating/polishing the black fibreglass resin canopy on the early surfs. It`s a dull matt finish- any suggestions on a product?
    cheers,
    chris
    Attached Files
    Powered by Toyota!

Originally posted by chrisinflight
    Hi Guys,
    Can anybody advise on treating/polishing the black fibreglass resin canopy on the early surfs. It`s a dull matt finish- any suggestions on a product?
    cheers,
    chris
    Chris
    Your roof is spayed black at the factory . It would have to be resprayed . Mine and TonyN roofs are natural white finish . My spare roof has been repainted black , but lost its texture being rubbed down for repaint .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

canopy

Thanks for that- you are right cos` mine has a small scratch which is white underneath the black. I suppose you need to use a special primer when respraying.
      Powered by Toyota!

Comment

I deal with a fair amount of fibreglass . You would normally use a plastisizer to help the paint flex with the movement of the fibreglass , but these roofs are more of a composite type of fibreglass like the Citreon tailgates and bonnets were made of and can get away with out the plastisizer if you want as the fibreglass is very thick with little flex .
        You may loose the texture with rubbing down , as I previously posted . I can only suggest using a paint flatting agent with a Scotchbrite to prep the panels to prevent texture lose .

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
          I deal with a fair amount of fibreglass . You would normally use a plastisizer to help the paint flex with the movement of the fibreglass , but these roofs are more of a composite type of fibreglass like the Citreon tailgates and bonnets were made of and can get away with out the plastisizer if you want as the fibreglass is very thick with little flex .
          You may loose the texture with rubbing down , as I previously posted . I can only suggest using a paint flatting agent with a Scotchbrite to prep the panels to prevent texture lose .
          Thanks for the advice but I dont think the canopy warrants the effort of a re-spray yet. I was thinking of just something like a flatting agent/black T cut to remove any muck and then something to polish. I`ve used Turtle Wax on rest of truck but this seemed to leave an inconsistant finish on a small test section of the canopy.
          cheers,
          chris
          Powered by Toyota!

Comment

have you tried back to black, i hadn't considered even trying anything with mine til just now reading the thread, i might give it a go tommorrow. i know it won't be permanent, but if it looks good just after cleaning then i'll be up for that.

especially since i've only cleaned it once since i've had it!!!
            i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Spray it with this

I know it's for tyres, but it's brilliant for rubber and plastic trim too. I use it for the tyres, obviously, and the plastic bumper tread on the truck also the plastic around the rear window. Oh, and it's only £3.99.

Comment

can't use green cans...allergies and stuff

Comment

tut!
                  Attached Files

Comment

sorry

Comment

Alot of the American guys have repainted the roofs the same as the truck and look good , depending on the colour though . The grey ones look the best ........

Just waiting for Vince now

Comment

Jeeze, don't encourage him!! I like to think us 1st Gen owners are above all that 2nd Gen colour rubbish............

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                          Jeeze, don't encourage him!! I like to think us 1st Gen owners are above all that 2nd Gen colour rubbish............

TO DAMM RIGHT WE ARE
                          If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN

they're all soooooo childish.

bet my dad can beat up all their dads too

Comment

Alot of the American guys have repainted the roofs the same as the truck and look good , depending on the colour though . The grey ones look the best ........

I'm here now!

So what we talkin' about then?

Comment

Working...
                              X