I win the Homer Simpson DOH!!! award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I win the Homer Simpson DOH!!! award

Well I don't bl**y believe it. I've had a quite serious oil leak in my Surf for about the last 3 months. My wife was getting fed up with the drive looking like the aftermath of the Exxon Valdiz. Well It was due a service (should have done it when I did the cylinder head - but I didn't).

Anyway I've looked all around the bottom of the engine, pressure washed it and thought at various stages it was one of the following.

Diff leaking (it is but not very much)
    Rear crankshaft oil seal
    Front Camshaft oil seal
    Rocker Cover (it was but I fixed it)
    Turbo seals
    Sump Gasket

All this because every time I pressure washed it and took it out for a drive, oil went absolutely everywhere so it was difficult to see where it was from.

Anyway, just serviced the car and I found it ........... it was the oil filter on loose.

Ain't it always the simplest and most obvious things you should check first.

DOH!!!
    Pillock

Not leaking anymore. Hooray

Cheers

it could have been worse. you could have left sump drain plug out when you put new oil in.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
      it could have been worse. you could have left sump drain plug out when you put new oil in.
      Now that rings a bell , one of the top guys on here did that , but will not mention the name , just in case I embarrass him .

Comment

i've put the wrong dipstick in a motor before, (too long) so when i started it up it came into contact with the inner workings and made a lovely whirring noise!
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by marky
          Many years ago when I was a dispatch rider one of the guys changed his oil and forgot to tighten the sump plug, the oil was all dumped a foot in front of his rear tyre at about 60mph, he was soooooo lucky not to bin it!
          (sorry to bore)
          ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

Working...
          X