pulling to left - not tracking...any help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pulling to left - not tracking...any help

my hilux is pulling to left so went to see mate at the garage to get a free tracking done.. but it wasnt out.. upon further investigation lots of play in wheels on both sides any ideas?? we think it the idler arms but is the drivers side from the steering box also an idler arm as milners only mention idler arm in steering section and doesnt define a side!!! any help would be appricated

Originally posted by jackpot
    my hilux is pulling to left so went to see mate at the garage to get a free tracking done.. but it wasnt out.. upon further investigation lots of play in wheels on both sides any ideas?? we think it the idler arms but is the drivers side from the steering box also an idler arm as milners only mention idler arm in steering section and doesnt define a side!!! any help would be appricated
    What was the tracking checked to.

These are for a UK 4 Runner, had my 1990 2.4 set to this amd no problems

Camber.....0.10 to 1.10
    Caster......1.10 to 2.10
    Toe..........0.03 to 0.15
    Inc. angle...12.35
    SAI............11.55

Mine also had a slight pull and play on the drivers wheel, was the lower ball joint, about £15 ish from milners.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

yer they were the settings we used

Comment

Hi Jackpot,

This link shows the exploded view of the steering (Figure 2). I am sure it is the same as the second gen's.

http://www3.autozone.com/servlet/UiB...3d801622fd.jsp

And this is a document on the idler.

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/idler/

Hope this helps.

Rich.
        If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Originally posted by jackpot
          Think the drivers side is not called an idler arm, think it's caled something like a steering drop link or something like that and is basically the main lever that works the steering from the box. The idler is the other end that acts on the other side. Think it;s because you need two otherwise the steering would act at different rates on each side and would also be too heavy. Not sure about that and it could be complete bo***x.

I would think that the play will tend to be in the idler arm and that will show up on both sides but act most significantly on the Nearside therfore the left hand pull.

If you feel up to it just change the bushes in the idler arm as the link before shows. It will save you a packet.

Cheers

Edit.

Actually it's the Pitman Arm on the off side. In the exploded diagram shown before you can see the bushes that need changing (one top, one bottom and a grease seal).
          Last edited by lucky; 30 December 2003, 10:50.

Comment

pulling to left

I had the same problem with my 2nd gen ssrx, failed mot.
            before you spend any serious money replace the plastic idler
            bushes on the near side whole kit from toyota bushes spacer seals
            nut and cap £18.00 done in 15 mins no probs since and passed mot.

Comment

silly thing

you prob have checke but wot about ya tyres i had the same thing once and it turned out to be a dodgy tyre on the side it was pulling i ha the lot done before hand and it was the ****** tyre
              black n tan
              black n tan
              yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Ive Got Exactly The Same Problem.some Play Was Found In The Front Wheels Bearing And Was Adjusted As They Are Taper Roller.still Hasent Really Solved It So I Am Going To Get The Castor/camber Checked.

Comment

Working...
                X