bearing noise ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bearing noise ????

Ok you teckies ponder this.Iv'e got this noise,when it first started it sounded like tyre on road noise (its that type of noise) at the rear,then my engin got cooked and I thought it might be aie being forced through the rear heater cos it got block when all the muck in the engin got stired up and it seemed to be comming from that sort of area,so I disconnected the rear heater,that didnt cure it.It is now at the front and seems to be coming from under the wheel arch but I cant feel anything through the steering,no its not wheel bearings cos I done those,it sort of sounds like a pully bearing,and when my alternator packed up I thought that was it but NO.Also it travels from side to side,some times its the left and then it will change sides.To make things even more boggling it dont do it all the time or under the same conditions,if I'm going over 60 then its a scream like a bearing thats gone dry,if I'm going under 30 then its a kind of well ticking knock.Back in january when we had some snow I had my hubs locked just in case there was a chance of playing in the white stuff and I got a grinding noise,disengaged my hubs and all was ok.Do you think it could be my hubs on the way out??? Iv'e greased and checked everthing I can think of and am totaly out of Ideas so its over to you.So please help a stumped sumo.
    If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Originally posted by sumo
    Ok you teckies ponder this.Iv'e got this noise,when it first started it sounded like tyre on road noise (its that type of noise) at the rear,then my engin got cooked and I thought it might be aie being forced through the rear heater cos it got block when all the muck in the engin got stired up and it seemed to be comming from that sort of area,so I disconnected the rear heater,that didnt cure it.It is now at the front and seems to be coming from under the wheel arch but I cant feel anything through the steering,no its not wheel bearings cos I done those,it sort of sounds like a pully bearing,and when my alternator packed up I thought that was it but NO.Also it travels from side to side,some times its the left and then it will change sides.To make things even more boggling it dont do it all the time or under the same conditions,if I'm going over 60 then its a scream like a bearing thats gone dry,if I'm going under 30 then its a kind of well ticking knock.Back in january when we had some snow I had my hubs locked just in case there was a chance of playing in the white stuff and I got a grinding noise,disengaged my hubs and all was ok.Do you think it could be my hubs on the way out??? Iv'e greased and checked everthing I can think of and am totaly out of Ideas so its over to you.So please help a stumped sumo.

i had a rear bearing go and that would knock at low speeds,changed it no probs since. i know you think that the noise is from front but noises can be difficult to locate somtimes.....
    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

I found it

I think?????? its the bush behind the hub that supports the driveshaft,I cant remember wot its called,(but vagrant no2 does)still I now got all the bits I need to cure the problem and do the otherside while I'm at it,with even some bits left over so as I can rebuild the other set of front driveshafts and hubs so I got a spare set.(I'm gona need a bigger shed if this keeps up) A huge thank you to Jotto and Rick who once again came to the rescue and Jenny for the tea.

Comment

Well now I know 2nd gen stuff fits 1st gen IFS so I can rebuild KFC if needed .
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by sumo
          I found it

I think?????? its the bush behind the hub that supports the driveshaft,I cant remember wot its called,(but vagrant no2 does)still I now got all the bits I need to cure the problem and do the otherside while I'm at it,with even some bits left over so as I can rebuild the other set of front driveshafts and hubs so I got a spare set.(I'm gona need a bigger shed if this keeps up) A huge thank you to Jotto and Rick who once again came to the rescue and Jenny for the tea.

are you talking about the ikcle brass bush??
          CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Originally posted by slim
            are you talking about the ikcle brass bush??
            Thats the one and its all sorted now
            YIPPEEEEEEEEE

Rick if you or Jotto are comming to Bures on sunday I will bring you the bits for your hubs that I didnt use so you can put em on KFC.

Comment

Working...
            X