No announcement yet.

Front Wheel bearings and Ball Joints...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Wheel bearings and Ball Joints...

Guys - its a real pleasure to have to ask this considering I just put her up for sale but I cant sell her now that I know the front whjeel bearings have play in em and the lower front ball joints have gone both sides.

I just got a quote for 280 quid not inc parts - (milners 110 quid) off a garage.

I'm considering doin em myself tho at that price.

Can these be done by the able handed novice or should I just pay em and get it over with ?

What tools are required aside from big hammers for the lower ball joints ?

how hard is the hub dissasembly for the bearings ? do I need a bearing press ?
    what about the 4WD shims ? are they hard to align and replace correctly ?

can it all be done on a sunday ?

Many thanks in advance of replies.

A really upset durf daddy.
    Nili secundum desperandum

You can probably just readjust the front bearings, but changing them is straight forward, just like any normal car, there are no shims or anything. Once you've removed the drive flange and caliper, just strip out the bearing lock nuts, and pull the hub off the stub axle, then you can drift the outer races of the bearings from the hubs.

The ball joints needs a ball joint splitter, or large hammer to seperate them from the lower wishbone. Its easier to unbolt the shock and anti roll bar then swing the lower wishbone down, than try and fight against the torsion bar to get the ball joint out.

Easily done in few hours.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Tony - thanks mate.

You da man.

I'm gonna hit this on sunday and hopefully save my nappy money for the kid.

I did agricultural mechanics in Israel at school but never actually did a ball joint or tractor bearing....just side valved engines !

Regds and many many thanks.

Ron.

Comment

Job Done.

Total time - 5 hrs for both sides bearings and ball joints.

Many many thanks Tony and Bob Hilux (had to phone him when I couldnt figure to use 2 bolts to draw off the plate...).

Regds and props.

Ron.

Comment

Working...
        X