Which Rear Diff !!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Rear Diff !!!!!

Can anybody tell if a mk2 or mk3 uk hilux rear diff will fit my mk3 1992 2.8 imported double cab.I have dropped the prop and my shot diff is colour coded blue,does this mean if i find another blue one it should fit.I can't find an axle code anywhere on the truck,but have been told that as long as it's the same colour and also out of a diesel it should fit.Thanks for any help.

Looks like you have a 4.3 ratio if the info on this page is correct.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_TechInfo.shtml

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
      Looks like you have a 4.3 ratio if the info on this page is correct.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_TechInfo.shtml

Nev

Cheers for the info Nev But what does that mean in lay mans terms.Is a Standard uk hilux diff 4.3as well ,or do i need to get one from a Import of the same spec.(probably like rocking horse s****)Cheers for the info.

Comment

you really need that code , should be on the vin plate ??? if its a 8" unit it should start with G28.with a 3rd number telling you how many pinions and if its lsd or not .
        Gary

Comment

Originally posted by jonty sillett
          Cheers for the info Nev But what does that mean in lay mans terms.Is a Standard uk hilux diff 4.3as well ,or do i need to get one from a Import of the same spec.(probably like rocking horse s****)Cheers for the info.
          think you will find that 4.3 ratio is common, so as long as its a 8" diff then you should find one easy enough....
          CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Originally posted by slim
            think you will find that 4.3 ratio is common, so as long as its a 8" diff then you should find one easy enough....
            Slim
            Cheers for the info,You were spot on. Iv'e found the vin plate and worked out which diff i need.It's a blue coded 8" diff,4.30 gears and a two pinion design.
            More to the point does anybody have a decent one at the right money !!!!.
            I don't want to spend a fortune on a recon as the old girl has done 292,000 kms and have been thinking of changing it soon.

Comment

Slim
              Cheers for the info,You were spot on. Iv'e found the vin plate and worked out which diff i need.It's a blue coded 8" diff,4.30 gears and a two pinion design.
              More to the point does anybody have a decent one at the right money !!!!.
              I don't want to spend a fortune on a recon as the old girl has done 292,000 kms and have been thinking of changing it soon.

you could start by putting an add in the parts wanted, failing that you could try a company like find-a-part, i did try these and had many phone calls from breakers claiming to have the diff that i wanted, but didnt like the idea of paying sombody halfway across the country to deliver the diff to me and have full confidence that it was in good order and have a warranty with it.....so i ended up buying a set of 4.3s from tonyn on here as he had a breaker i was lucky....

Comment

Sorted !!!!!!!!!
                Managed to find a diff locally,bought a second hand complete front axle of of a mk3 hilux for £40.took out the diff and wacked it in the rear of mine .Job was easier than i thought, and i sorted it for £50 which was the cost of the diff, gasket and oil.It took me about 3hrs to do,but i had never changed a diff before.
                The colour code on the front of the diff was the same (blue)but to be sure before fitting the new one, i double checked the ratio by sitting down and counting all the teeth.
                The truck is now ready for another 287,000 and drives like a different truck !!!
                Thanks for all the advice it really helps when you don't know what to do next

Comment

Sorted !!!!!!!!!
                  Managed to find a diff locally,bought a second hand complete front axle of of a mk3 hilux for £40.took out the diff and wacked it in the rear of mine .Job was easier than i thought, and i sorted it for £50 which was the cost of the diff, gasket and oil.It took me about 3hrs to do,but i had never changed a diff before.
                  The colour code on the front of the diff was the same (blue)but to be sure before fitting the new one, i double checked the ratio by sitting down and counting all the teeth.
                  The truck is now ready for another 287,000 and drives like a different truck !!!
                  Thanks for all the advice it really helps when you don't know what to do next

WELL DONE M8 HAPPY SURFING...............

Comment

Working...
                  X